Mooring Issues - Canal Boats & Barges

donziworld

Visit site
Am I the only motor boater to suffer from a lack of short term day moorings. I own a modest 25 footer, pay my EA licence & Insurance every year and abide by the boat safety certificate regulations. Is it to much to ask that the EA manage, inforce and encourage there own rules and regulations. This early in the season it is becoming impossible to moor due to canal boats and barges. Looking at the glares from there skippers the thought of asking to raft up is not a pleasant one. In addition the increase in river 'gipsy's is obvious. Clearly no insurance, licence and living where they see fit. When will the EA do something constructive with our licence fee?

In addition during the recent high water EA RED days, our local rowing clubs had young kids (no life jackets) out practicing. Why does the EA not deal with these issue?

donziworld

Visit site
Yes I thought as much. I know it sounds like the rantings of a mad man, but I feel there is an issue to be answered. I wonder if any EA officials are members of the forum?

Brayman

Visit site
I don't think you can complain when you come across somone as considerate as this last weekend.
nbmoor1.jpg

Ramage

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

In addition during the recent high water EA RED days, our local rowing clubs had young kids (no life jackets) out practicing. Why does the EA not deal with these issue?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is out of order. I am sure the Amateur Rowing Association would not condone juniors on the water during strong stream conditions.

My son's club (Walbrook RC, Teddington) stayed off the water and used Ergos (rowing machines) while the red boards were up.

By the way, only Coxs wear life jackets in Racing Robos. Life jackets get in the way of the oars apparently....

However, as they are supposed to be accompanied by a safety boat help should be on hand!

Just recently found out that as parent of a Junior at the club I can use their bar.... Cheers /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

DogsBody

Visit site
Re: Life Jackets

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

By the way, only Coxs wear life jackets in Racing Robos. Life jackets get in the way of the oars apparently....

However, as they are supposed to be accompanied by a safety boat help should be on hand!

[/ QUOTE ]

Always thought that was strange, how RoBo crew don't have lifejackets but the cox does - thought perhaps there was a shortage of coxs and a surplus of crew in most clubs...

Darren.

chuckaduck

www.coolphotographic.com
Re: Life Jackets

It always amases me seeing sculls out on the tidal thames alone with no life preserver the it gets in the way excuse just doesnt cut the rug

miniskip has his own kayak and is a member of the sea scouts and has had instruction still he has to wear a life jacket and always there is a safety boat with him so why are the robo fraternety superior ?????

I would say that this is an isue for the ara and health and safety

TrueBlue

Visit site
Coming back -

to the posted issue, which was moorings full of narrow - and broad - beam boats.

Not wishing to start an argument, but would you be specific about which moorings were full - just for the record??

The only place that I am aware of as a continuous sore is the "tesco" mooring at Reading, where there are liveaboards of various types occupying what is a busy mooring of obvious popularity.

I cruised from Marlow to Hampton Court at Easter and noticed the following:-

Marlow quite busy, but spaces
Cookham the same
Maidenhead empty
Eton rowing course busy
Eton / windsor quite busy but not full
Runnymede sparse
Bell weir Full
Staines -
3 sets of moorings Empty
Penton Hook -
upstream Empty
downstream pretty full
Thames Court empty
Weybridge empty (I think)
Shepperton spaces
Desborough empty
Hampton Court Loads of room.

I didn't see a preponderance of non white painted steel, in fact the majority were cruisers - mostly large.

Sooo, please what's the issue? Is it that your favourite mooring places were full and you are picking on the long boats because they take up more room??

byron

RIP
Visit site
Re: Coming back -

I think the issue is the fact that rafting seems to be a NO NO with them whereas when moorings are in short supply there's always a kindly motor boat who will call you alongside. Add to this the proliferation of water pikeys (my main gripe) just as garnish.
As regards lifejackets for rowers. I can see that wearing these would restrict them and could even cause them to overheat.

donziworld

Visit site

Hi
Thanks for your reply. You have been lucky. My boating this weekend has seen problems at Walton, Weybridge and river in between.

Yes in the main they do take up more room and, once moored they seem to stay for days, where most cruisers stay for a few hours and move on. For the record I do not have an issue with narrow boats, black or otherwise, but you must admit they can cause moorings problems

Gumpy

Visit site

As an owner of one of these extra large craft 19x3.5m thought I would chip in my two pennth.
We had a cruise up to Sonning and back over the Easter week and the only places that were full were on Easter Sunday at Windsor ( all cruisers ) and the EA moorings above Boveney, well they werent full if you were a cruiser. which with the weather the way it was was expected.

As for rafting I ususlly have no problem with any boat coming alongside, unless I want a quiet night, narrow boats have a problem as its quite a climb up on to Parglena but all are welcome.

Julian

TrueBlue

Visit site
Re: all answers since my last post

Thanks guys; we're now getting qualitative data.

It's probably too early to say, but from the small sample above it would appear that the problems are localised and in areas where the moorings are short so NBs intrude more.

The problem with rafting up is twofold:-

Firstly, I maintain than most NBs on the Thames are visitors "doing the ring" and therefore don't understand the conventions on wide waterways. On the canals rafting doesn't happen because the track is not wide enough, and anyway you can moor pretty well anywhere you can get ashore - so there's no need.

Secondly, the geometry of the boats don't lend themselves to rafting up to dissimilar types of craft. The gunnel height is much lower as you don't need much freeboard on a ditch. The overhang on a cruiser would scrape against the very expensive paintwork on a NB's cabin sides.
Even if there are two NBs willing to raft up, most don't carry "proper" sized fenders as they are useless on a canal, so the boats bang all night (unlike the occupants?)

It's a matter of culture and education - and it is difficult to educate folk who are here today and gone tomorrow.

In my experience, NBs tend to be long distance cruisers and many cruise continuously for most of the season. Accordingly they tend to spend longer at any one place and explore the land as well. in contrast most of the boats who are Thames residents tend to be day- or weekend- boats and move on quickly.

If you look inside an NB you'll see that they are more suited to longer term use; decent sized beds, large main cabin, central heating, big fridge, high power electricity supply. A cottage afloat.

The trend seems to be for more NBs to use the River, while cruisers are in decline. So you're stuck with them - best to engage them and point out the issues. Many will respond (but here is a worrying trend - some will not; indicative of our current society where nobody gives a sh.....).

We can't expect EA to provide more moorings on their tight budget, but I do put in a plea for them to maintain the moorings better - or allow concerned users to tidy up. Two sites come to mind:-

Desborough cut downstream
This official mooring is 80ft. less than it could be because the cut end is completely overgrown by brambles. I tried to clear a bit of it (while SWMBO slaved in the galley), but nature has corrected the balance

Wargrave
This pretty mooring is half the length it should be because willows have been allowed to sprout out of the bank so nobody can moor at the downstream end. The splendid wooden bollards provides go unused.

I'm happy to have a go - but have nowhere to put 20ft lengths of tree....

EA won't give permission for volunteer action and point one to the River Thames Society (who don't represent boat users) HuH!

donziworld

Visit site

Reply to quote:
Desborough cut downstream
This official mooring is 80ft. less than it could be because the cut end is completely overgrown by brambles. I tried to clear a bit of it (while SWMBO slaved in the galley), but nature has corrected the balance

Thanks for your reply and I would agree with your comments. Re Desborough cut downstream; The mooring you are refering to is now occupied by river gipsy's.

Here to stay I am afraid......

ashanta

Visit site

Sorry but I think you wrong on a number of matters in your last post. Firstly, NB's do have fenders. The slim hard rubber type which are excellent on the canal and when NB's are rafting to NB's. NB's don't use the large inflatable types as the NB doesn't need them. If a cruiser wants to raft up you will expect it will have suitable fenders.
I not only live aboard an NB but own and sail a yacht in Devon and rafting is a fact of life for sail and power boats in harbours throughout the UK and channel and I can assure you that anyone is welcome to raft up next to me any time. If I am leaving earlier than than the other, I am happy to swop positions. However, as someone mentioned, getting ashore is not as simple as stepping around the bows of a rafted vessel. I do not have access across my bow or stern and this in fact means that people may have to climb up and on to the roof of my boat and climb down the otherside to get off.
The problem of boaters failing to accept a responsibility to allow rafting won't go away, it's an education that needs to be taught as the increase in numbers continues.
Just one word on an earlier point someone mentioned about "gypsies" I would agree, the rule on cruising BW (reduced fees and no mooring fees) should be enforced. These guys appear to just move a few 100 mtrs every few days but stay in the catchment area (maybe they obtain benefits?) they stay in groups of 5-6 boats and leave so much mess on the towpath, especially cans and bottles of booze. These people take up prime mooring which are paid for by our licence but we are restricted by the life style of people who are not cruising.
Regards.
Peter

tedkay

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
to the posted issue, which was moorings full of narrow - and broad - beam boats.
Is it that your favourite mooring places were full and you are picking on the long boats because they take up more room??

[/ QUOTE ]

Vikings use longboats ! Narrowboats do indeed often take up more space - and seem reluctant to breast-up. Maybe EA could do more to encourage breasting-up - a few signs suggesting it here and there would help, and would make it more comfortable for other boaters to ask them to do it. But there will always be an element of uncooperative boaters, and it is certainly not confined to narrowboaters.

However surely the real problem is that there are simply not enough moorings provided on the Thames generally. EA take the licence money and know how many boats are likely to be on the river ... I often think that local town councils should pressure for more moorings - after all the more boaters their town can accomodate the more money will be spent there.

Brayman

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
I often think that local town councils should pressure for more moorings - after all the more boaters their town can accomodate the more money will be spent there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that is forward thinking. Abingdon is the only place on the river that has thought about this, their moorings are always full and they are free for 5 nights. Some boaters abuse it but there's always plenty of movement - that's my visit to Abingdon scuppered for this year!
Other towns, like Henley and Marlow charge £10 a night, is that to keep us away or to attract us?
Personally I like what they do at Hampton Court, first night free, second and subsequent nights £5 - and they spend the money on the moorings (allegedly)