Mooring at Poole

rwoofer

Visit site
For the first time I ventured out of the Solent to Poole over the Easter weekend. Expectations were high as I know the area well (from the land perspective) and it is supposed to be the second largest natural harbour in the world.

Anyway, I ended up being severely disappointed with the mooring facilities:

a) All the marinas seemed to be prebooked to full eg. Dolphin, Salterns etc.
b) All the yacht clubs were impossible to contact (couldn't even tell if they accept visitors)
c) The town quay looked very industrial and noisy
d) Ended up in Cobbs Quay, which seemed to be in the middle of nowhere. Tried to get into the allocated berth, but couldn't (about 4 feet too narrow). Eventually got another position on the end of the pontoon, which is an incredibly long walk to the loos. We grounded on the dropping tide in the evening with our 2 metres of draft. And on top of that we had to get up at 5:30 to get through to the bridge, where we had to wait around until 7:30 before they would let us out.

Was this just a one-off experience or is Poole really this bad for visitors?? Not really feeling like going back their again.

RB

PS. Also noticed Poole seemed to have many more stinkies than raggies in the marina.

<hr width=100% size=1>

duncan

Visit site
last first - depends on the marina and Cobbs position the otherside of the bridge favours smaller Mobos that can often get under it without a lift.

outwith Cobbs there are very very few visitor slots in Poole relative to it's size mainly because the quay is so limited now for rafting. DHaven is booked many months in advance - er because it can be! This alone tends to work against Ragand sticks who prefer looser plans and go with the prevailing etc etc.
On the other hand many more sailboats overnight in Studland than power, and blood alley or pottery pier is 50/50.

Finally where it excels IMHO, is for the self sufficent cruiser where you have many many places to sling your hook in the Harbour and nothing to pay at all!

<hr width=100% size=1>

jorinda

Visit site
Use'd to go into Poole Yacht Club above the Ro Ro port and their call sign was "pike" and always found them friendly and helpful, but not sure of their attitude now. Also would reccomend Blood Alley or Studland as long as you don't want to go into town shopping etc.

<hr width=100% size=1>The Chandler at Bucklers Hard

AIDY

www.ybw.com
where is blood alley chaps ? I often drop the hook at pottery or south deep. but cant think of blood alley

<hr width=100% size=1>/forums/images/icons/wink.gif <font color=blue> Regards Andy </font color=blue>

tony_brighton

Visit site
After many similar terrible experiences in Poole (and letters of complaint to the HM) we try to keep clear of all the places you mentioned. However we did venture in this weekend and slung the hook in South Deep - what a contrast! A pleasant evening was had, no noise or rafting up; you just have to be a little self sufficient and buy the beer in advance.

<hr width=100% size=1>

maxi

Visit site
Re: delf - Blood Alley

Pottery Quay is pretty much at the Northern end of Blood Alley, which is the inshore passage around the Western side of Brownsea Island. Nice place to anchor for those with shallow draft, in an "alleged quiet area" if anyone ever takes any notice of the rules (where's the harbourmaster?).

<hr width=100% size=1>

AIDY

www.ybw.com
Re: delf - Blood Alley

Thanx just found it in the Reed Almanac. I know where u mean now. if you hang a right after the drying lump that I always seem to find at low water as you enter south deep from the main channel it's on the south side of red squirrel island !

<hr width=100% size=1>/forums/images/icons/wink.gif <font color=blue> Regards Andy </font color=blue>