Monkey Island Hotel - Mooring/Landing

mlines

www.sportsboat.org.uk
I have not been there to look for myself yet so being lazy and seeing what the forum knows....

I have been asked to transport some teenagers to their school prom next June. This takes place at the Monkey Island Hotel.

Is there a mooring/landing stage suitable for dropping them off?

Alan ashore

Visit site
I was there last year. They have some staging on the inside of the Island that they use for their own boats. On the main stream side there is a flight of steps to a landing which I would think eminently suitable for the prommers arrival. It would be well to visit and review depths, obstructions etc for yourself. I draw 3 ft, but if I recall correctly needed a bit of care at one or other end.

Alan ashore

Visit site
I am meaning on the outside. I recall the depth was OK bankside at the steps and for some yards downstream, but there was a bit of a spit coming out towards the head of the island.

rosssavage

Visit site
Outside.

I wouldn't even try the inside with your boat - done it on my rib, and even then needed to raise the engine at the top of the island (inside side)

Outside will be fine, but it's not dredged or maintained so just keep the speed down and a careful watch on depth.

TrueBlue

Visit site
Outside.

I wouldn't even try the inside with your boat - done it on my rib, and even then needed to raise the engine at the top of the island (inside side)

Outside will be fine, but it's not dredged or maintained so just keep the speed down and a careful watch on depth.

Methinks the inside of the island is pretty much a no-go for anything.. We regularly used to cruise it (We draw 2' 3" in old money) but somebody dumped a load of dredgings just beyond the head of the island - and EA refused to move them.

watson1959

Visit site
Oh Martin: DON'T be such a wuss!

Remember the James Bond film where the speedboat came clean out of the water and over the wedding reception table?

Now THAT's a prom arrival! :)