Monaco GP 2018

markc

Visit site
Hi

I am thinking of visiting the Monaco GP next year as it will be easy to stay on the boat. However, based in St Raphael the coast train journey is a bit of a pain to do on both the Saturday and the Sunday so I was wondering if any SoF forumites had any good ideas - either somewhere closer where I could pre-book a mooring, Antibes for example, or somewhere along the way that I can easily park the car then jump on the train?

Cheers!
Mark

Portofino

Visit site
I,ve done it more times than I can remember , 4 times with hiring a skipper for the day ,going on my own boat .Its about 1 hr from me .
About € 200 cash in hand .
It's actually quite nice , you can focus on your guests , done family and beer soaked lads trips - er not at the same time :)
They drop you off in Fontvielle ,off you toggle to your seat ( which costs more ) and a txt when you are ready pick you up .
Meanwhile they anchor off some where ?

The stuffs up for 6 weeks or so the F 1 GP being 1 w/e .
It's a right of passage I guess .The best one is the Classic Historic Gp about a week later ,much more laid back and a lot less people , but 1st it's normal to get a few " Monaco F 1.s " under your belt before migrating .

There,s a train station 5 mins from La Nap port ,--- it's a bun fight @ the end getting out after the race ,and like ,or even worse than UK,s net work rail ,you are the mercy of Fr cancellations " rocks on the line " etc
Prob with Antibes -- too near --- full train risk .

Well that's my experience

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
Antibes is ok but as Porto warns you need to think about train fullness - you risk crowds at the station if you get there at say 10am ish. If you want more chance of seats on the train then much earlier or further west eg la Napoule is better but you're kinda on the edge of town there and don't have the beautiful hinterland of old Antibes right on your doorstep. Best answer is just get a car from Antibes to MC- it will easily get close enough to drop you within walking distance of MC.

You could get a berth in MC for your boat - about €9-10k I'd guess (on the basis mine was 13k in zone 1 for the 2016 race). It's pretty awesome being there on a boat.

The excellent Historique GP is two weekends before the main race and is every second year, interlaced with the electric GP. 2018 is the Historique's turn

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Yep, that sounds like a good idea, but what's the likelyhood of being able to pre-book a mooring?

The obvious way to answer this is just to ask the capitanerie: +33 4 92 91 60 00

One other option is to helicopter in from Nice airport; iirc about €200/head if you just rock up, but maybe half that if you pre-book.

mcanderson

Visit site
Some other options might be available in Beaulieu sur Mer (3 stops on the train from Monaco) book car transfers now (I can recommend a driver), or you could anchor off Beaulieu and use your tender ashore again for simple train/car transfers. I have seen people on organised boat transfers form Beaulieu to Monaco so that is another option.

Here is a link to the port - https://www.portdebeaulieu.com/en/

We have already rented out our apartment otherwise I would highly recommend it!

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
Try Menton Garavan Marina ... couple of hundred yards from the station, also called Garavan and plenty of restaurants in the marina, nearby and also a short taxi ride away. Short train ride West to Monaco and far less busy.
The Classic meeting is 2 weeks before the F1 grand prix.

markc

Visit site
Try Menton Garavan Marina ... couple of hundred yards from the station, also called Garavan and plenty of restaurants in the marina, nearby and also a short taxi ride away. Short train ride West to Monaco and far less busy.

Good tip, thanks. I've dropped them an email as well as PV... maybe I'll get a reply, you never know!

iapetus

Visit site
If you intended to use that mile-long anchor chain you just fitted, then forget about it.
Anchoring is now prohibited almost everywhere in front of Monaco, starting next week. I see a tiny, suitable spot only 40m deep though.

mwu0z5.jpg

Portofino

Visit site
Well if anyone is going and needs crew !

Actually that’s the best idea .
Drop off here
View attachment 70625
Pic taken 2 Weeks before last years GP btw - you can,t park on a race W/ E

Mate / helm takes the boat to Cap Ferret 1/2 hr ish away anchor and await msg to pick up .

You drive there and back or if me drop me off and wifey crew @ la Nap .

Last edited:

markc

Visit site
It proved to be a bit of a challenge with a 3 year old and 8 year old on board to do the drop off & anchor (they wouldn't appreciate the race), and also had to can the option of heading to a nearer marina as we only arrive in France the night before, so travelling to Monaco on race day from home marina via train, .. flying Grandma out to babysit the kids :D . First world problems indeed.