mobile broadband in the SW

janda

Visit site
Has anyone succesfully used mobile broadband around the south coast say Scilly Isles to Poole. I guess it would be very slow in the Scilly Isles or not work at all? And which provider? I am on O2 and their phone coverage is fine for me in that area except for between Bolt Head and Bolt Tail but does that mean the mobile broadband will work (albeit more slowly) also along this coastline? Cheers.

NealB

Visit site
I'm using O2 mobile broadband at home (very rural, hilly, wooded, Devon by the Tamar).

Signal is 'very low', but usually works acceptably for me (but I'm not into big movie or music downloads).

Scillypete

www.peteandspamgosailing.blogspot.com
We are up to the minute here in Scilly and have the Broad band, however your O2 coverage may be non existent.
Vodafone and Orange are the only two that come close to reliable with Vodafone being best and Orange a bit patchy. AFAIK no others work unless they have recently added to our aerial.

temptress

gbr195t.com
Hi,

We use mobile broadband (more commonly known as HSDPA "High-Speed Downlink Packet Access" or 3G ) on board and at home as our only internet connection.

The speed is fine but the coverage is limited in the West Country to major towns only. You can usually get 2G anywhere you have a mobile signal but speeds are very slow and not really useful.

Out in the Scillies you are limited to 2g only right now. Although 3G is being provided in more and more remote locations by the operators. Check their websites for coverage maps. Anchored in say Poole you have good 3G access but going West from there you have no connection until Weymouth then none again until Dartmouth but lose it as you go up the DART. Ten it’s hit and miss unless you are in/near a big town.

/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

janda

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
We are up to the minute here in Scilly and have the Broad band, however your O2 coverage may be non existent.
Vodafone and Orange are the only two that come close to reliable with Vodafone being best and Orange a bit patchy. AFAIK no others work unless they have recently added to our aerial.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting and yet the Vodaphone coverage map indicates only 2g coverage in the Islands. Although it also seems to indicate Vodaphone is reasonable for my purposes otherwise. I have been unable to find other actual coverage maps as opposed to street coverage.
BTW My O2 phone worked fine out there back in 2004.

cormorant

Visit site
I am not sure of the coverage in that area but I would say avoid 3 network at all costs. I live in a so-called high coverage area and can hardly get dial up speed - Lord knows what it would be like in an area of
"poor" coverage

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
Ive been using Orange and now BT for Data in the west country for a few years.....

The coverage on Orange has improved quite a bit in the last couple of years... Fowey now is good, versus no signal before...

Plymouth and surrounds are good, Salcombe off the town OK, but not too good further up... Falmouth is fine until you go up the Fall...

Never pay much attention off shore.... Helford was a no go area until 2 seasons ago, now the phone signal is better.... most of these areas are 2g BTW...... so ok for Email but not too good for browsing..