MMSI numbers

pappaecho

Visit site
Have read the Ofcom guidance notes for DSC radio licences, but it does not make clear who issues the MMSI numbers which are unique to every vessel. Is the number unique to the set or is it issued by a body and then programmed into the radio?

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
MMSI number is issued by Ofcom but cannot be obtained on the website. You need to write to them with details of the set and any other relevant info, such as existing call sign, and they will issue the MMSI.

Bald_Dad

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
MMSI number is issued by Ofcom but cannot be obtained on the website. You need to write to them with details of the set and any other relevant info, such as existing call sign, and they will issue the MMSI.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure about that. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I registered my new boat on the ofcom site last night, having registered myself on line and getting a login through the post. At the end of the process last night I was able to print out my lifetime licence and on that I had an MMSI number, which I believe I now need to program into my new DSC radio.

Malcolm

Solitaire

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
How do you enter the new mmsi into the vhf/dsc if the set already had a number for the last owner of the boat?
Please

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't. The MMSI number and call sign should remain with the boat through changes of name and ownership. You should simply have transferred the details of the ship's radio license into your name. This should have been explained when you did your VHF operators license.You have one of course!

If you have to change it then it will either have to go back to the maker (and it will cost you) or you might be able to get the re-programming code from them.

Cloven

Visit site
Just been going through this process and have spoken to both Ofcom and VHF supplier.

Bit of a catch 22. In order to get a MMSI you need to have the details of the set you are going to use - serial no etc. Then you send that in to Ofcom - either by email or snailmail (they emailed me an application form for this) - and they then send you an MMSI number. Then, you programme the set with this number.

Problem is that you only get one chance to programme the set and if you get it wrong it has to be reset by the dealer. So, the dealer suggests, buy the set, get the MMSI number & then take the set back to them for programming. At least if they get it wrong they can reprogramme it. OK if the dealer is local.

Hope this helps.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I recently bought my first DSC set and tried to obtain an MMSI. After spending an hour trying to find how to do it via the website, I gave up and rang Ofcom. The lady I spoke to told me that I could only apply by letter through the post. I asked about e-mail, to which she told me that this was not possible, snailmail only. This was last week.

Solitaire

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I recently bought my first DSC set and tried to obtain an MMSI. After spending an hour trying to find how to do it via the website, I gave up and rang Ofcom. The lady I spoke to told me that I could only apply by letter through the post. I asked about e-mail, to which she told me that this was not possible, snailmail only. This was last week.

[/ QUOTE ]

To use the web site, you need to apply for a user name. This is via snail mail, although you can apply for the user name on line. The user name then allows you to log in and get your MMSI that way. But you must have the user name first, you will not be able to gain access without that.

Click on this link scroll down to where it asks you to either log in or register. If you don't have a user name then log under new registration. Fill in your details and then about 5 days later you will get a letter with your user name - most likely your user name will be your first initial followed by your surname. Once you have that then log back in using the password you filled in when you registered and wham bam thank you mam you're in. It really is very simple and I can't understand why people seem to have so much trouble - just read the instructions!

I was able to cancel my old license from my name and then change the details of the new boat and get issued with an MMSI number against a call sign that already existed under the original license - when was this done? About 2 months ago and then I printed out the new licence which is now laminated and on the boat. Time taken to do the whole thing about 5 minutes plus printing time.

Solitaire

Visit site
I'm sorry but what's the problem then? I went into the site, changed my old license details, amended the details on the boat that I had bought into my name and then added the DSC set to the newly amended licnece - the new MMSI number was issued in an instant. I did have a problem initially prininting it off but that was due to IE firewall issues.

pappaecho

Visit site
I want to thank all who have contributed. It would seem that I buy the radio first, then apply to Ofcom for an account and password, then log on fill in the details and hope for the best.
Whilst doing this, if I am going sailing I am going to take my neighbours mobile number, as he flies the local Coastguard helicopter, Pappa India

Billjratt

Visit site
I've never heard of them asking for equipment details before. The licence conditions require you to have the correct gear installed, only EPIRBs need to be registered in detail. Most radios allow a couple of goes, then a service procedure is required to reset and restart. Some of us know how to do it to our own, but every manufacturer is different.