Mistley - Free the Quay - Supreme Court Decision

Frayed Knot

Visit site
Woodbridge quay, and undoubtedly hundreds of others around the country, H&S gone completely mad if it is suggested that every river/sea wall should be securely fenced to prevent any possibility of a child falling in!!!
Due to the nature of my work I am very conscious of the need for H&S measures. Unfortunately they are often hijacked (and subsequently undermined) for ulterior purposes. Sometimes to restrict access, as here; sometimes as a job creation scheme; sometimes simply for some inadequate to assert the tiny amount of “authority “ he or she may have.
Take a walk along the Deben river wall to see not only multiple absurd “safety” structures built by the EA but also later additions to (one assumes) prevent people from bumping into/tripping over them... I despair.

Frayed Knot

Visit site
Due to the nature of my work I am very conscious of the need for H&S measures. Unfortunately they are often hijacked (and subsequently undermined) for ulterior purposes. Sometimes to restrict access, as here; sometimes as a job creation scheme; sometimes simply for some inadequate to assert the tiny amount of “authority “ he or she may have.
Take a walk along the Deben river wall to see not only multiple absurd “safety” structures built by the EA but also later additions to (one assumes) prevent people from bumping into/tripping over them... I despair.
I don’t know why it’s duplicated - maybe it’s a health & safety issue.
Oh, the duplicate has disappeared now - gremlins!

Last edited:

Tomahawk

Visit site
Makes me laugh how the EA muppets put a stairs with a hand rail on just one side from the top of the dyke down to. the sluce ... then put a locked gate at the top..

Tomahawk

Visit site
Ok.. just how does that actually work when the stairs have an open side at ground level where you can step onto the structure. If they actually want to prevent people from walking on the steps, they need to do something that actually stops access completely. Otherwise it is a stupid waste of effort.

Aquaboy

Visit site
As I understand Mistley that area has always had public access rights. Before they could get planning permission to develop that section they need to show it was unused for a period of time. Put the fence up to dissuade anyone from laying along side that part of the quay, hay presto no one uses it. Several years ago I was part of a flotilla who tide up with step ladders and climbed the fence and went to the pub. It was a good afternoon. The part of the quay used commercially funnily enough isn't fenced, you can't really work a ship with 6ft mesh in the way.

oldgit

Visit site
A not dissimilar case on the Thames at Windsor ?
There is an EA mooring access via a narrow gated alley off Eaton High Street.
A block of very desirable flats was built on the bank complete with views of HMs drum across the water.
The EA had historical mooring rights and insisted the the moorings must remain and access to shore retained.
The residents do everything possible to discourage boaters and make sure that those who are aware of the moorings and use them are not welcome at all.
Last time we were there the residents had spent money on some rather nice No Mooring signs.
Suspect they will have ended up on the river bed in short order.