Mind and Body

Gerry

www.gerryantics.blogspot.com
We have been living aboard and cruising for the last twenty years.
We left when I was 42 and my partner 50.

There was no 'plan' and many decisions on destinations were made in response to tales that we heard along the way, charts that were given to us and books that we read! Sometimes we have spent years based in one geography, other times cruising continuously.

What has worked for us include: wind vane steering, wind generator, low power useage( keep it simple), home canning of foods, radar, ssb radio.

We started off in good physical health. This definitely took a battering over the years. Tropical diseases seemed to be an issue for me particularly. A dose of dengue fever the most unpleasant. Insect bites, infected cuts and the usual bruises featured highly. I broke my ribs slipping down a companionway ( having safely come through a brush with a hurricane).

Mentally we found some experiences challenging. Whilst 'normal' life involved high levels of stress we found that the stresses in cruising could be of far greater intensity-and yet strangely easier to cope with. It was sobering, and yet liberating to find the limits of ones abilities. Certainly life changing!

In most geographies medical care is affordable and insurance not vital- the one exception was the USA. Despite taking out cover before arriving when I was hospitalized with an acute medical emergency the insurance company refused to pay out- we later found that this is not an unusual occurance.

Cruising the Tropics is certainly not without it's challenges. The heat can be very debillitating - but you learn to adapt. Setting the boat up for both hot and cold weather living takes substantial thought and planning. The solid fuel stove that is a gift in Alaska is somewhat superfluous in the heat of the Central American Jungle.....

We were fortunate to have set off at an age when we could comfortably adapt to the different physical challenges we faced. As we have aged and become less physically able we have been better placed to cope as we can use our experience and knowlege of the boat to adapt our responses.

Don't be dogmatic in setting goals- follow the winds, allow yourselves to alter plans and set your own goals, they will change regularly!

Enjoy!

moomba

N/A
Visit site
We have been living aboard and cruising for the last twenty years.
We left when I was 42 and my partner 50.

There was no 'plan' and many decisions on destinations were made in response to tales that we heard along the way, charts that were given to us and books that we read! Sometimes we have spent years based in one geography, other times cruising continuously.

What has worked for us include: wind vane steering, wind generator, low power useage( keep it simple), home canning of foods, radar, ssb radio.

We started off in good physical health. This definitely took a battering over the years. Tropical diseases seemed to be an issue for me particularly. A dose of dengue fever the most unpleasant. Insect bites, infected cuts and the usual bruises featured highly. I broke my ribs slipping down a companionway ( having safely come through a brush with a hurricane).

Mentally we found some experiences challenging. Whilst 'normal' life involved high levels of stress we found that the stresses in cruising could be of far greater intensity-and yet strangely easier to cope with. It was sobering, and yet liberating to find the limits of ones abilities. Certainly life changing!

In most geographies medical care is affordable and insurance not vital- the one exception was the USA. Despite taking out cover before arriving when I was hospitalized with an acute medical emergency the insurance company refused to pay out- we later found that this is not an unusual occurance.

Cruising the Tropics is certainly not without it's challenges. The heat can be very debillitating - but you learn to adapt. Setting the boat up for both hot and cold weather living takes substantial thought and planning. The solid fuel stove that is a gift in Alaska is somewhat superfluous in the heat of the Central American Jungle.....

We were fortunate to have set off at an age when we could comfortably adapt to the different physical challenges we faced. As we have aged and become less physically able we have been better placed to cope as we can use our experience and knowlege of the boat to adapt our responses.

Don't be dogmatic in setting goals- follow the winds, allow yourselves to alter plans and set your own goals, they will change regularly!

Enjoy!

Ty For a nicely written piece with honesty and clarity with your feedback. It is as how I feel it will be , yes challenges change , it never is an easy ride all the time , but , in a sense when you are doing it for yourself and living a frugal life but enhancing your mind , can not be a bad thing.
ty.

steve yates

Visit site
Whilst 'normal' life involved high levels of stress we found that the stresses in cruising could be of far greater intensity-and yet strangely easier to cope with.

That's simple, stress in "normal life" is an insidious ongoing process from the same sources building up over a long period of time. Stress in cruising is generally specific and relatively short lived. Have I got this landfall right? How the hell do I leave this dock? will my anchor hold during this blow?

It's a much healthier type of stress than what we subject ourselves to in everyday living.

rotrax

Visit site
I have nuts and bolts in one knee, the other is worn out and arthritic through favouring the repaired one and a very painful and badly arthritic right wrist. Sailing in the UK summers is OK-we have a very comfortable boat with easy on/off-no climbing up the freeboard-but for the last ten years we have not endured a British winter. We used to winter in Southern Spain and now we stay with our family in Wellington NZ.

My pain from the injuries and arthritis is considerably reduced in the sunshine and warm temperatures-I can almost lead a normal life.

When a cold and wet Southern Buster comes through Wellington, the pain increases. To misquote Mark Twain:- " The coldest winter I ever spent was a July on the Clyde "

I hope it works out well for your adventure. Good Luck.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
Do the RYA's first aid course and sea survival courses. The Ship's Captains Medical Guide is free as a PDF online at https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-medical-guide. The First aid course will give you a long list of drugs and medical kit to carry.

Everything on a boat except the electrical kit will break more than once it is made for weekend and holiday sailors. I spent at least one week a day when long distance either doing maintenance or fixing something which happens more often. I carried two spares for everything, exploded diagrams so you know how to take things apart and put back together, also a wide ranging set of tools is needed including ring and open spanners. The longest I went without fixing something was a month in the Venezuelan out islands then when arrived in Bonaire on the first day three things broke.

The harness should have one long and one short tether which is used on deck so you can't go over the guard rails the long one is to put around the mast when reefing or vice versa, plus a U-bolt in the cockpit and jackstays. We clipped on in bad weathers and always at night, so we viewed life jackets a something you put on when getting into a life raft.

What we found is long distance passages are boring so take lots of books To entertain ourselves big waves got big waves back and so on for different sizes. Upper body strength will increase if you use winches and halyards

Last edited:

moomba

N/A
Visit site
In addition to all the good advice you've already received, get yourself a copy of 'Sell Up and Sail' by Bill and Laurel Cooper. It's entertaining, informative, sensible and exciting, all in equal measure. It's a few years old now, but most aspects are just as relevant now, sometimes more so.

cheers for the advice:encouragement: