Migrants, have you personally been affected when sailing?

tugger

Visit site
You seem to be suggesting that migrants pose a threat to us and we should join you in fearing them.

I'm not at all clear what you think those who have spend thousands of euros in the hope of getting to the UK and being allowed to settle here would gain by attacking British citizens en route.

Whilst I admit the scenario Tomahawk refers to is highly unlikely, to dismiss it out of hand as you have is somewhat blinkered.

The incidences of migrants threatening lorry drivers are not uncommon, a quick Google brings up many examples. In the interest of balance I wont link to any of the more right wing news agency sites (apologies to the Mail, Express or Telegraph readers) I've tried to use as impartial examples as possible...

The Guardian from 2016:
'It was petrifying': lorry driver attacked near Calais feared for his life

Trans.info (transport and logistics website) from May 2021
Images show more HGVs attacked in Calais as trucker admits he feared for his life

and Wikipedia
Migrants around Calais - Wikipedia

In short, yes people who may have spent thousands trying to secure passage to the UK could possibly turn to violence to ensure their thousands spent are not lost in a failed attempt.

None of the above necessarily reflects my personal opinion of the plight of migrants, I simply prefer to see balanced views.

Last edited:

tugger

Visit site
The above post has nothing to do with sailing and the possible consequences of meeting a boat with migrants in. I can find no record of any yachts person having trouble with migrants at sea.
Yes, I absolutely agree. It's never happened, it probably will never happen, but I was commenting on the fact that it was simply inaccurate to say and generally imply "I'm not at all clear what you think those who have spend thousands of euros in the hope of getting to the UK and being allowed to settle here would gain by attacking British citizens en route. "

Last edited:

Tomahawk

Visit site
Poingard
You raise an interesting question, which in a way you provide the answer to. If as you say, they have spent thousands of Euros in the hope of getting to the UK. I have to ask, why don't they simply buy a ticket on a bus and hop a ferry? Surely it's far cheaper and much safer than paying thousands for a place on an unsafe boat with just about no LSA and a very real chance of drowning. Obviously, neither of know what is going through their minds. But it seems to me they know what they are doing is in some way illegal.

We are also told migrants are desperate to the UK. My thinking is people who are desperate and know what they are doing is illegal do not make law abiding citizens. As Tugger shows in 21 there are records of migrants attacking lorries. Why not do the same on the water?

However and this is the point of my OP, Jordanbasset points out, there are no instances so far of migrant boats intercepting yachts at sea. That of itself is reassuring and what I want to know.

Poignard

Visit site
Yes, I absolutely agree. It's never happened, it probably will never happen, but I was commenting on the fact that it was simply inaccurate to say and imply generally "I'm not at all clear what you think those who have spend thousands of euros in the hope of getting to the UK and being allowed to settle here would gain by attacking British citizens en route. "
To claim that because something happened in one particular set of circumstances it must therefore happen in a different set of circumstances, when there is no evidence to indicate that it will, is illogical.

Marmalade

Visit site
To claim that because something happened in one particular set of circumstances it must therefore happen in a different set of circumstances, when there is no evidence to indicate that it will, is illogical.
Equally illogical, surely, to claim that simply because something hasn't happened so far, it will not happen in the future?

Tomahawk

Visit site
Equally illogical, surely, to claim that simply because something hasn't happened so far, it will not happen in the future?

Indeed, if one were to play devils advocate, using Poinguards logic the entire COP26 is a waste of time as we have not previously had a climate change disaster as an eample. But I wouldn't make such assertions.

tugger

Visit site
It would be if anyone had actually made that claim. That's quite the leap from my "could possibly" to your "must therefore" :rolleyes:

And you're the one saying things are illogical?

Last edited:

jordanbasset

Visit site
Indeed, if one were to play devils advocate, using Poinguards logic the entire COP26 is a waste of time as we have not previously had a climate change disaster as an eample. But I wouldn't make such assertions.
No it's not or anything close. For a start we are already seeing problems with climate change and the science is pretty strong that unless we do something it is not a question of if but when

Poignard

Visit site

cherod

Visit site
I haven’t visited the relevant places recently and have to confess that it is never on my mind when I am sailing in our waters. Many years ago we were approached by a young Americanish lady in Calais who asked us if we would let her come with us to England. I don’t know how secure the moorings are these days in the French Channel ports. Usually, gates such as those in Dieppe are fairly easy to bluff your way through. Not quite relevant, but many years ago we saw a yacht motoring downwind off Ramsgate when any sailor would be sailing and it crossed our mind to wonder if they were up to no good. Nowadays I would be more inclined to call up the coastguard.
because someone is motoring when you consider they should be sailing ,,, OMG

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com

Poignard

Visit site
I don't understand why migrants might wish to board my 28' foot, narrow beamed yacht with its lack of comforts*, and maximum speed of 6 knots on the sort of windy day when migrants are unlikely to be at sea anyway, when they could instead be picked up by the RNLI and whisked to safety in relative comfort.

*I suppose we could offer our uninvited visitors tea, and a slice of nourishing Fray Bentos pie . . .

Capt Popeye

Visit site
No it's not or anything close. For a start we are already seeing problems with climate change and the science is pretty strong that unless we do something it is not a question of if but when

Yepmight suggest that the effects of Climate Change upon our BOATING could be quite dramatic ; we are used to talking about lost towns under the sea in Suffolk and Essex , with tales of Church Bells sounding from the remains ; Norfolk has stories around the wash area and Sommerset has stories about the Brean area of the effects of rising sea or sinking land changing the countryside dramatically ; Ports now well inland like Rye etc ; so surely its in our best interests to pay attention to the Global Warming effects ; although I detect that some cries from the present Global Challenge are a tad off ball and present a danger to civilisation as we know it .

Poignard

Visit site
Anyone looking out of the window of my home in one of London's busy suburbs and seeing the SUVs and 4x4s crawling up the road with their cargoes of kids being delivered to school might be excused for thinking that the population in general has yet to embrace the latest climatological fear and loathing cult.

cherod

Visit site
Anyone looking out of the window of my home in one of London's busy suburbs and seeing the SUVs and 4x4s crawling up the road with their cargoes of kids being delivered to school might be excused for thinking that the population in general has yet to embrace the latest climatological fear and loathing cult.
surely that must leave massive scope for all the little hitlers that the " pandemic " , security , migrant / refugee . unemployed , drugs , terrorists , etc have created ,, just need an agency to report to ,, ( mm, they dont have one )