Micro-Generators vs Fuel Cells

Leonidas

www.leonpapazoglou.com
It has been awhile since we got hooked up on the thread where a Honda hedge trimmer engine was bolted onto a 12 v alternator. It seems that it has gone "quiet" and I wonder if the project is now binned.
I also wonder if the fuel cell's almost silent power generation has made any inroads as a viable alternative to the noisy gennies . Last time I looked into this, there was a German company called Voller Energy which was marketing such a project, but I cannot find it any more in the web.
Any experience with this alternative ??

prv

Visit site
There was someone showed up recently, pitching (in a non-spammy way) his company's fuel cell product and answering lots of questions. General outcome seemed to be that it was promising technology, but still too expensive unless you really, really need some of the fuel cell's special advantages (silence, etc) which most of us don't. Availability (and price) of fuel was another problem, since it needs to stay very very pure and so is provided in sealed capsules which "plug in" to the machine. This means you're stuck paying their high prices and also can't obtain supplies at all once you start seriously travelling.

Pete

pcatterall

Visit site
The last long running thread I read concerned using a small pump engine and alternator. I was really interested in the concept and ready to place my order but like all good inventors I think he has gone onto another project!!

Playtime

Visit site
There was someone showed up recently, pitching (in a non-spammy way) his company's fuel cell product and answering lots of questions. General outcome seemed to be that it was promising technology, but still too expensive unless you really, really need some of the fuel cell's special advantages (silence, etc) which most of us don't. Availability (and price) of fuel was another problem, since it needs to stay very very pure and so is provided in sealed capsules which "plug in" to the machine. This means you're stuck paying their high prices and also can't obtain supplies at all once you start seriously travelling.

Pete

I think this was the thread.