Messolonghi

John_Parkes

Visit site
We have been considering spending next winter in Messolonghi but heard a recent tale of a yacht arriving there for an arranged lift out quoted around 200€ only to be told on the Monday there had been a mistake and the new price would be 600€ Any comments please. We have also been told the price for transiting the Corinth Canal has seen a large increase recently. Does anyone know the charges for a 13.5m vessel?

John & Kim s/v Sondela

chrisgee

Visit site
We have been considering spending next winter in Messolonghi but heard a recent tale of a yacht arriving there for an arranged lift out quoted around 200€ only to be told on the Monday there had been a mistake and the new price would be 600€ Any comments please. We have also been told the price for transiting the Corinth Canal has seen a large increase recently. Does anyone know the charges for a 13.5m vessel?

John & Kim s/v Sondela

Seems very high to me ,I`ll ask the owner and post on here.
As for the Corinth Canal I,ve just had a look at their website ( new prices for 2010/11) and must say you would have more chance of working out the true costs of your elec or gas tariffs. Talk about confusing. Google Corinth Canal Prices List and have a look yourself -I may have just been having a Senior Moment.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Unless there's another page that I haven't found the transit fees are shown here. They are for 2009/10, no mention of new tariffs for this year that I can find. We appear to be category ST. Assuming that there should be another pair of brackets around the 80 + (LOA - 9) this gives a figure that is less than we paid last year.

Melody

www.aegeansailingschool.com
Most things here have increased slightly in price due to the VAT increase from 19% to 21% so the canal fees may be a bit more than advertised.

The increase has only just come in so it is a bit soon for websites to be displaying the new prices. Give em a year ...

mocruising

Visit site
Mesolonghi have a very good web site which will tell you exactly what you need to know. My boat was there all winter and was relaunched two weeks ago I could not recommend them highly enough.

TRUNDLETRUC

Visit site
Corinth Canal

Cost of one way passage of the Corinth Canal in an 11.4 metre yacht was 153 euros, September 2009.

Most expensive canal in the world per kilometre, I believe? When asked why it was so expensive the man said we shouldn't complain as it is owned by a British company!!

Eurydice

Visit site
Hi,

A quick note to clarify that as one of the liveaboards in Messolonghi this winter we were made aware that the cheapness of the lift outs were mainly due to the fact we had spent all winter here. Any visiting yachts will be treated to the regular rates.

Both Jo and Yannis and very approachable people and they have a website filled with data - contact them and ask the price before visiting as dependent on your plans they will quote you a price.

Am aware of the high price and was shocked myself but the reasons given from a business point of view are valid I feel.

H

highandry

Cost of one way passage of the Corinth Canal in an 11.4 metre yacht was 153 euros, September 2009.

Most expensive canal in the world per kilometre, I believe? When asked why it was so expensive the man said we shouldn't complain as it is owned by a British company!!

Nah! Greek, just registered as British, avoids taxes see...err no that's boats innit.
rolllaughing.gif

lille_bee

Visit site
We went through Corinth on march 17th, 2 days after the VAT increase, and paid €202.26 for our 42ft Moody, instead of the €199.46 we were quoted before the VAT increase. It's more expensive at weekends & public holidays.

chrisgee

Visit site

John & Kim s/v Sondela

Just looked at the new price list up to March 2011 and it looks like a 12m lifted out for 6 months and lifted in is around 1500euros inc vat which seem like very good value to me. Appreciably less than yards around Nidri and Preveza and the new loos and other goodies will be open for this season!

Eurydice

Visit site
John, Just a quick update if you are interested in Messolonghi the new shower block and toilets opened four days ago with a roaring success with us liveaboards here. Even better news for Kim will be that they are about to fit washing machines in the toilet block - don't know if there is going to be a cost attached yet. At least something to throw into the pot when making that final decision.

BDS

rivonia

Visit site
Hello Eurydice we have been watching this space as it is more than likely that we shall also be heading to Messolonghi for the coming winter.

Any idea of costs for a CATAMARAN 11 meters?

Thanks

Peter

chrisgee

Visit site
John, Just a quick update if you are interested in Messolonghi the new shower block and toilets opened four days ago with a roaring success with us liveaboards here. Even better news for Kim will be that they are about to fit washing machines in the toilet block - don't know if there is going to be a cost attached yet. At least something to throw into the pot when making that final decision.

BDS

Will be there Tues if we can get a flight out of UK through all the dust!!
Glad to hear news re the heads --I`ll book into trap one and wait for the washing to finish at the same time.

basba

Visit site
corinth canal: never again!

Last June for a 12.80 m boat, I've paid 180,00 euro. And during the pass, when my poor engine was already over 4000 rpm, they were calling me in continues on VHF shouting "YAKAMOZ FASTER, FAAASTEER". And near the exit a bungee jumper had thrown himself just ahead us from a bridge, terrifiying us in case he couldn't climb up. As if it was not enough, when we were approaching the payment pontoon, we touched the bottom, because the yellow afloating signal was underwater!!!
This summer Peloponnisos...

Eurydice

Visit site
Rivonia (Peter), Not really sure what you will have to pay, all the details are on the website messolonghimarina - it is best to email and ask Jo for a quote because different rates will apply this year to last. Those that were here this year have been offered discounts so I would suggest you contact the owners. I have found them to be very approachable and it is always best to get in writing what the expectations are.

BDS

affinite

Visit site
A vote for Messy

Cant comment on the price rise stories but can comment on the general feel of the place.

We are here waiting for the dust to settle before we fly home. (1 week minimum delay on flight) Only been here a few days but I second the opinion about Jo & Jani, both friendly and helpful people. This is currently a pretty basic marina but it is still great value and the liveaboard community seems very friendly.
PS - havent seen the wash machines but the new bog block is pretty good.

rivonia

Visit site
Rivonia (Peter), Not really sure what you will have to pay, all the details are on the website messolonghimarina - it is best to email and ask Jo for a quote because different rates will apply this year to last. Those that were here this year have been offered discounts so I would suggest you contact the owners. I have found them to be very approachable and it is always best to get in writing what the expectations are.

BDS

Thanks for reply. Do you have the web address/e-mail address...Please

Thanks

Peter

Eurydice

Visit site
Chrisgee, lol, you can't hide in trap one because thats where the washing machines are hiding until their installed!!! Look forward to meeting you if your flights work out ok, hearing they are still delayed.

Peter, the website with details is www.messolonghimarina.com the email address contact is for Jo Mennen (Dutch) info@messolonghimarina.com - should you arrive by sea they have yet to set up VHF contact and number but you can call Yannis (Greek) on his mobile and ask instructions 0030 6945334171 - hope that helps.

BDS

rivonia

Visit site
Chrisgee, lol, you can't hide in trap one because thats where the washing machines are hiding until their installed!!! Look forward to meeting you if your flights work out ok, hearing they are still delayed.

Peter, the website with details is www.messolonghimarina.com the email address contact is for Jo Mennen (Dutch) info@messolonghimarina.com - should you arrive by sea they have yet to set up VHF contact and number but you can call Yannis (Greek) on his mobile and ask instructions 0030 6945334171 - hope that helps.

BDS

That was most helpful, much appreciated. Yes we shall be arriving by yacht. Not sure when at the moment.
Thanks for all the info

Peter