Mercury Meeting - May 2009

Torp

Visit site
How do these things work? Does everyone have to wear name badges (real name or user name?), or have T-shirts printed with their avatars on or something?

Oh, to be a fly on the wall...

BrendanS

Visit site
At previous meets, we did indeed have badges, really nice ones that were like credit cards, with Username and boatname etc on them, professionally done by Martin, who has now moved to Canada. So I guess this time, it will be sticky paper labels!

Sixpence

Visit site
Don't personally see a reason for having a label at all, never had to wear one at any East Coast meetings and I think it helps break the ice if people have to say hello and talk to people. But if a label is needed, and if I go, I'll probably wear my own rather than a sticky label

BrendanS

Visit site
Mercury meets in the past have had up to 160 people. If you are trying to find specific people, it makes it easier, and Martin volunteered to make them. No one was forced to wear one, so can't see what the problem is.

strakeryrius

chasing some sunshine - or a cold beer - or both
Visit site
I would very much like to come along and put a few names to faces, and bring along Mrs Y as well. How does it all work? - previous get togethers of this kind that we have been to via Yacht Clubs or Berth Holders Assoc have all been a little cliquey and we've felt like outsiders. Are newcomers welcome or do you need to be a little more long-standing on the forums before coming along?

BrendanS

Visit site
These meets are all about meeting for first time. OK, a few of us have met before now, but most of the people who went to the first meets no longer post here, so we will all be meeting new people.

Not posh either, just wear everyday clothes. Some people have even turned up in offshore sailing gear! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

maybh1

Visit site
Badges! I love badges /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif especially the "Dame Edna" type where the writing is big enough for me to SEE it.

If Pauline has a pink badge - I must have one too /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

May
xx

BrendanS

Visit site
It's unique and original, though I'm sure she will let you touch it,and even wear it for a while!
You could always get a pink marker pen, and colour in your sticky label! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

maybh1

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
most of the people who went to the first meets no longer post here,

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you scare them all off Bendan /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

May
xx
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BrendanS

Visit site
Probably me, though could have been John, the previous MDL MD /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, who used to post on here a great deal, and told peeps they were wrong, in a very gentle way.

You all have to be very nice to MDL, if we want them to sponsor us. Mike Gates on Thames Forum always seems to get huge amounts of positive feedback, which isn't suprising, as I've met him several times, and a great guy, and has done huge amounts for forum meets.

BrendanS

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
this is going well

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you did say Englander was included. That would explain why we don't have a 160 count! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

boatmike

Visit site
You all have to be very nice to MDL, if we want them to sponsor us.

Oh booger! I will have to think twice about that then..... Hmmmm.....