Mercruiser Trim Cylinders Alpha or Bravo?

njc

Visit site
I had to replace the port and starboard trim cylinders on my Mercruiser Alpha 1 (1992) outdrive. Problem is I was sold slightly different looking units (second hand) which I can't seem to fit and I was wondering if anyone knows if they are off a Bravo outdrive or later model.

The old ones that were fitted had a pin assembly with thin white plastic sleeve bushing and e-ring to hold it on at the rear (see http://www.mercruiser.co.uk/Frames/trim_cylinders__hcpic.htm) for a picture. (Part number 815954A7)

The new ones are slightly chunkier looking and have large black rubber bushes (4 at back and 4 at front). The mechanic that sold these said they would fit, but after lots of effort, I cant compress the bushes enough to get the e-ring on.

If there's anyone who knows I would be grateful...

Freebee

Visit site
If the bodies of your cylinders are round and not square they are the same as w I have fitted on my alpha outdrives the eyes of the cylinder have large black bushes 2 each eye and a metal tube pushed through the two. On the drive is a threaded stud which passes through the tube and a large penny washer and nut secures the the eye of the cylinder to the drive. If your new ones are the same as I describe and you can't fit them I will buy as spares if the price is right!

oldgit

Visit site
Just a quick post.Repair kit for rams available from Keyparts for about £50 pounds.Old unit will come to bits with heat and some minor violence.

njc

Visit site
Thanks Mike and everyone for your help.

The bodies of the old units that I took off were square and the new ones (which are hardly new second hand ones!) are round as you describe. The method of attachement you describe is different and may be where my problem lies in trying to fit them. There is no thread on the pin to take a nut to secure the cylinder onto the pin. Instead there is a little e-ring, washer and cap to hold the square style trim cylinder on. I've got a few numbers to phone and find out now.

To all those that have stern drives I learnt the hard way - I had new anodes put on in April 2000 and pulled the boat out in April 2001 to find them all gone along with half the stern drive and trim cylinders! I had the stern drive stripped and rebuilt with a new gear housing at a cost of £800 (a new unit £2500) and fitted the fixed sterndrive back on myself. The trim cylinders cost £500 for a new pair - I paid £80 for a fairly rough old pair that don't fit which I doubt I would want to sell!.

I wondered if a faulty power supply on the shore power could have accelerated the dissapearance of my anodes (they had previously lasted a year at a different marina berth) and caused my bank balance to go into shock.

oldgit

Visit site
Re: Cylinders that do not last.

Had a regal with twin Mercruisers!!!!!.Rams appeared to last about three quarters of a season.anodes or no anodes.Cheaper pattern rams lasted about as long so I ended up using those.Make sure you fit the S/Steel grounding wires.

njc

Visit site
Re: Cylinders that do not last.

Mercrusier replacements are £250 each according to a website I looked at (£500 for two rams seems a bit steap, but that's boating for you!) Someone told me I could get non merc replacements for £160 approx each (still £320 probably plus VAT) - I am trying to find out about this. Is this price about right? Does anyone know of good part suppliers?

oldgit

Visit site
Re: [url]www.keyparts.com[/url]

This company will sell you the complete item or just the bit that you need to replace.you fit your inner bits and use them again.most parts are around half price.