Mercruiser Engines

syd

Visit site
Hi all,
I have a Mercruiser 5.7ltr V8 in my boat. Could someone tell me please which oil I should use, i.e 15/40, 10/30 etc and whether it should have a detergent, like in diesel engine oils.
Also does anyone know of a good supplier of Mercruiser parts?
Cheers
Syd

David2452

Visit site
Mercriusers own advice is to use a straight weight, though strangely the oil they sell in UK is 15w 40,

Any good Mercruiser dealer can supply, but Sierra parts imported from US are much cheaper and as good for regular service and repair parts.

G

Just checked in a Mercruiser workshop manual (1964-1987)that for some odd reason I seem to have aquired, since I've never owned one, but anyway it says SAE30W for 0 - 32degrees C operating temp or SAE 20 below,or SAE40 above.

G

Re: Ref the Black Anchors

Byron, are you saying America is no longer one of our colonies? Must have spent too much time here on the forum and missed that bit of breaking news. When did that happen, before, during or after the invasion of Afghanistan?

oldgit

Visit site

Our american chums also add.mercury will get you where you are going. but only suzuki/yamaha etc bring you back again.

ArthurWood

Visit site
In defence of Mercruisers

Hey Oldgit - I'm not one of your American chums, I only live here, but I've never heard a Merc called an anchor and neither have I heard the Yamaha thing. P'raps I haven't been around enough. My own experience of using Mercs of various capacities for 15+ years is that they are extremely reliable - far more reliable than the Cats, Cummins etc diesels in our marina and elsewhere which are always suffering from black smoke, valve problems, turbo troubles, blocked injectors, diesel bug etc. I can be sure that when I go to my boat it will start, take me where I want to go! That's more than I can say for friends with diesel-powered and much newer and bigger boats than mine. Mine just drinks a lot!

G

Cor we're missing some good stuff up here in the sticks. Must send a message to our Prime Minister, that nice Mrs Thatcher and ask her what's going on. Oh and I hear we're going to join the euro in January and a bloke down the pub last night changed all my Pounds into these new notes for me. Damn good chap, goes by the name of John Major and he used to be our local MP, but on the dole now. No doubt that other local chappie, Oliver Cromwell's got his job now. Don't suppose you've heard of "our John boy" in your neck of the woods, but he said for every pound I give him, he'd give me one of these new Euro notes. Funny old money though, it's just black printing and says Wun Yuro on it. Do you want me to get you any, seems like a good deal.

oldgit

Visit site
Re: Mercruisers et al.

Hello Arthur .Have a look at www.yachtingnet.com( Power boat forum).Boy when our colonial friends have a whinge they really let the manufacturers know about it.none of this english style mumble mumble please if its not to much trouble ETC.

ArthurWood

Visit site

Hi Oldgit: Thanks for the site info; not too much trouble! Must have been looking in the wrong place 'cos I could only find questions about Merc WOT revs and oil recommendations. Did see mention of Cummins injector blockage however. Could u pls point me in the right direction, if it's not too much trouble that is ;-)

ArthurWood

Visit site

Oldgit - I finally found the Merc complaints - not many really, just a long fred about a twit who had a long dipstick and a couple others!!