Mercruiser ECM 555 Issue

GsyBates

Visit site
Hi all, I’ve been trying to connect my vessel view mobile to my port engine but it cannot connect to the ECM.

I tried a friends Rinda Tech Tool and had the same issue or not be able to communicate with the ECM. The engine runs perfect so it isn’t affecting anything as yet other than I can’t use the vessel view mobile.

Does anyone have any idea why both devices cannot connect to the ECM? I believe it is a ECM555. Engine is a 2012 Mercruiser 4.3L MPI.

Cheers

GsyBates

Visit site
You’ll likely need to look around having a junction box and pay attention to the use of the yellow terminator resistor caps required.
As far as I can see there is so link between the 2 engines. Both Canbus connectors do have the yellow terminator cap on, I tested the resistance of the of the resistors and one of the port ones seems to be faulty. I did them try the STBD cap on the port side when trying the vessel view again but no joy.

QBhoy

Visit site
As far as I can see there is so link between the 2 engines. Both Canbus connectors do have the yellow terminator cap on, I tested the resistance of the of the resistors and one of the port ones seems to be faulty. I did them try the STBD cap on the port side when trying the vessel view again but no joy.
So I’m almost sure there will be no linking between them. At the engine themselves. The VesselView mobile device needs to be ideally plugged into a junction box though, that links both engines, in terms of getting data to the phone or tablet itself. But very important and not often commonly made aware…is that all mercruiser or mercury engines are automatically termed or called “starboard” engine by default, in terms of an id for this type of thing. You need to change the id or name of the actual port engine, to “port” on the device readout.
So what do you actually have in terms of hardware ? Do you have a junction box under the helm ? The mobile device plugged into that ? Or are you saying you actually have one VVM plugged straight into each engine at the harness down there ? Either way…you need to rename that port engine to “port”. Let me know some details of what you actually have and how you have them or it plugged in. Hopefully I can help or have helped with the above at least.

QBhoy

Visit site
Try going in here and making sure you have them both set up here properly as port and starboard

Attachments

• IMG_2561.png
    IMG_2561.png
    431.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2562.png
    IMG_2562.png
    158.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2563.png
    IMG_2563.png
    179.8 KB · Views: 8

GsyBates

Visit site
So I’m almost sure there will be no linking between them. At the engine themselves. The VesselView mobile device needs to be ideally plugged into a junction box though, that links both engines, in terms of getting data to the phone or tablet itself. But very important and not often commonly made aware…is that all mercruiser or mercury engines are automatically termed or called “starboard” engine by default, in terms of an id for this type of thing. You need to change the id or name of the actual port engine, to “port” on the device readout.
So what do you actually have in terms of hardware ? Do you have a junction box under the helm ? The mobile device plugged into that ? Or are you saying you actually have one VVM plugged straight into each engine at the harness down there ? Either way…you need to rename that port engine to “port”. Let me know some details of what you actually have and how you have them or it plugged in. Hopefully I can help or have helped with the above at least.
Hi, I plugged the vessel view mobile straight into the connector on the port engine. The port engine is named STBD and that’s all I could get out of the Tech tool when I plugged that in. The Rinda tech tool, should that have been plugged into the canbus or the 4 pin Diag connector?

QBhoy

Visit site
Hi, I plugged the vessel view mobile straight into the connector on the port engine. The port engine is named STBD and that’s all I could get out of the Tech tool when I plugged that in. The Rinda tech tool, should that have been plugged into the canbus or the 4 pin Diag connector?
You won’t need the rinda, I’d be almost sure.
Is there a junction box under the dash or near the helm ? Do you have any smart craft gauges on the dash already ? Normally there would be one verses biew mobile device plugged into a junction box under the helm. Yellow terminator resistor on the open end there and any unused ports on the junction box also with a yellow terminator cap. Or a junction box up there for each engine and linked out towards a single vessel view mobile. The junction box there is connected to the engine(s) by a cable running back to them and into the port on the engines that either has a yellow or purple cap on it sitting loose.
So do you have one or two VVM devices ? Is there a junction box or two under the helm ? If you are just trying the one device into each engine by changing over to see if it works, I don’t think it will know what it’s doing. You’d only get one engine info at a time and only if you had each engine set up as a different boat and engine. If you get me. It won’t recognise one engine at a time alternatively under the same boat header or account set up. You really need to have it set up to have two engines selected under the same boat (as shown in the pics o sent above) and the device plugged into a junction box at the helm..which is connected via individual cables back to each port on the engine.

QBhoy

Visit site
I’ve never personally used a rinda. But I think they plug into the diagnostics port instead. You shouldn’t need it for this at all, I’m quite sure. Someone will know more than I about that for sure and may say otherwise perhaps.

jonno45

Visit site
Rinda wasen't used on 555 ECU's it was CDS or now G3 CDS used the flat 4 pin connector on the engine harness, G3 connects to J box at the helm, if your engine is running the the ECM is fine.

You just need the correct tool to read the data, only problem is that the tools i mentioned are for dealer only.

QBhoy

Visit site
Rinda wasen't used on 555 ECU's it was CDS or now G3 CDS used the flat 4 pin connector on the engine harness, G3 connects to J box at the helm, if your engine is running the the ECM is fine.

You just need the correct tool to read the data, only problem is that the tools i mentioned are for dealer only.
Didn’t know that Jonno. I’m almost sure a rinda can and has been plugged into my v8 mpi. That has the 4 pin plug for it. Also the smart craft plug too obviously. Not completely sure..but also think my mercury outboard might even have a plug for the rinda too perhaps. Can’t quite think now. I have smartcraft network to a junction box on that for the gauges. Also use the vessel view mobile too. The v8 mpi, I just use the vessel view. Analogue gauges on that.

QBhoy

Visit site

Is this the plug you mean. I’ve this 4 pin plug. I’m nearly certain it was a rinda that was plugged into this by a dealer years ago. Not certain though.

Attachments

• IMG_2723.jpg
    IMG_2723.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 7

B58

Visit site
The four pin connector is for diagnosis using CDS, to connect the vessesl view mobile. has your engine got 14pin round engine to helm harness?