Mercruiser Bravo cone clutch

jointventureII

Visit site
Dismantled the upper gear housing on my Bravo 2 leg as the gear change was very very stiff, having checked both the detent ball and the gear shift cable.

The cone clutch is worn down and needs replacing. However, it's the old model that is discontinued (pre-2000).

The part number is 807375A2 and they're a total arse to get hold of. Mercruiser guy I've spoken to locally can't get one (in Italy) and recommends that I find a 2nd hand upper unit as a new gear set that fits the new cone clutch won't fit in. I've read around and it seems there is a kit available in the US of A (for about £1800, mind) to change the upper gearing only. He insists it won't fit, even though it apparently fits all Bravo models since first build.

Has anyone got any experience of this problem, or a good stockist for Mercruiser parts?

Last edited:

jointventureII

Visit site
Thanks MrG but all of those, despite claiming to be the old model, don't seem to be (wrong coloured springs, ridge in the top of the cone).

Might have found one in the USA though

BB1

Visit site
Dismantled the upper gear housing on my Bravo 2 leg as the gear change was very very stiff, having checked both the detent ball and the gear shift cable.

The cone clutch is worn down and needs replacing. However, it's the old model that is discontinued (pre-2000).

The part number is 807375A2 and they're a total arse to get hold of. Mercruiser guy I've spoken to locally can't get one (in Italy) and recommends that I find a 2nd hand upper unit as a new gear set that fits the new cone clutch won't fit in. I've read around and it seems there is a kit available in the US of A (for about £1800, mind) to change the upper gearing only. He insists it won't fit, even though it apparently fits all Bravo models since first build.

Has anyone got any experience of this problem, or a good stockist for Mercruiser parts?
Mercruiser Bravo Complete Top Half | eBay

jointventureII

Visit site
Thanks BB, that's very interesting indeed, it looks like an after-2000 version too....I'm going to ask around and see if that will fit mine.

In the mean time I've managed to find a cone clutch in the USA but even there, it took over 40 emails to various suppliers. Then, out of nowhere, a guy called me from La Spezia just down the road to say he's got a new one. So I'll have a spare too....!