Mercruiser 5.0 IO Beeping Intermitantly

warrenvdm

Visit site
Wondering if anyone can help, have an intermittent beeping sound. 2nd time out for the year, first time was after replacing the water pump, and boat ran perfectly, until near the end of the day when suddenly the beeping started again.

2nd time, a lot of beeping. Adjusting throttle sometimes stopped it, only to start again later. I have some suspicions based on reading up, but wanted to ask what others thought. Oil pressure just below 4psi, getting close to 4 when beeping, but I don’t think it’s this. Fuel gauge bounces a little, just over half to three quarters and often ties with beeping, but not always. Temp seems to be sitting around 150 and doesn’t move.

Thanks for any suggestions

julians

Visit site
it could be anything really, have you not got the rev counter with the lcd display that gives more info as to the cause of the error? I think you can buy fault code readers for these quite cheaply, might be worth getting one to save playing parts darts?

For what its worth when I had a 5.0 mercruiser (about 15 years ago now) that beeped it was due to the idle air control valve starting to fail - they're quite a cheap part, it started as a beeping with no useful fault code, but when it failed completely the engine wouldnt idle at all, it would just stall. I bought a new IACV and all was well again.

madabouttheboat

Visit site
Wondering if anyone can help, have an intermittent beeping sound. 2nd time out for the year, first time was after replacing the water pump, and boat ran perfectly, until near the end of the day when suddenly the beeping started again.

2nd time, a lot of beeping. Adjusting throttle sometimes stopped it, only to start again later. I have some suspicions based on reading up, but wanted to ask what others thought. Oil pressure just below 4psi, getting close to 4 when beeping, but I don’t think it’s this. Fuel gauge bounces a little, just over half to three quarters and often ties with beeping, but not always. Temp seems to be sitting around 150 and doesn’t move.

Thanks for any suggestions

Get it plugged in to a diagnostic device.