Memory Map Uk Marine Charts, UK on Android

NickRobinson

Visit site
Hi

Not wanting to drift the Navionics thread. The MMap wsite says 'Android version in Autumn 2011'!

Anyone got it working on android?
If so, what device?
I have a Win mob licence, can I migrate to android FOC?

Nick

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
I've just installed it with OS and Maptech charts onto a Motorola Defy running Android 2.2. Haven't really tried it in anger, only down to the shop and back. Seems to work OK so far. I've never really understood how the licences work. So far I've installed this on about 3 PC's, 2 PDA' and now the phone. I did have to sign in to my MM account when I installed it. I'd try it and see if it will work, if not e-mail MM support.
Good luck

NickRobinson

Visit site
Thanks Alahol-
I'm getting up to speed with android. I want to use a tablet onboard to save battery power instead of the laptop

For Nav but also browsing etc onboard, tethered to my phone

Last edited:

[3889]

Visit site
Got it on my HTC Desire. Running UK Charts, V4 OS 25k and 50k maps and French ign 25k topo maps. I had to upgrade to Navigator after buying Android app (about £30, see here) to import 3rd party maps and use V4 maps. You need to buy this upgrade off the US site as the OS has forbidden licensing of their maps in this way.
It was a long wait for this app but it's very stable with good functionality. Your Windows license is no use on Android

Screen shot off my phone, you can pinch-zoom and vary the number of data fields shown.
mm.jpg

Last edited:

halb

Visit site
Just would like to point out that there are several chart plotter apps for android, I have the Navionics and GPS Nautical Charts - UK, which offers more settings etc than Navionics and it seems to work as well!!
Perhaps it would be educational for us all if a list of Apps was on line on this forum,
Jon
Sent from my Asus tf101/dock

Playtime

Visit site
Hi

Not wanting to drift the Navionics thread. The MMap wsite says 'Android version in Autumn 2011'!

Anyone got it working on android?
If so, what device?

Nick

Recently (last week) installed the MM app and UK/IRL charts on a Nexus 7. Works well but the chart pack is missing some of the Admiralty detail chartlets that I would have expected to be included.

Ammonite

Visit site
Recently (last week) installed the MM app and UK/IRL charts on a Nexus 7. Works well but the chart pack is missing some of the Admiralty detail chartlets that I would have expected to be included.

I think you will find the detailed chart lets are all available BUT you have to zoom in as far as you can on the chart you have in the area of the chart let before it will appear in the store for download I.e. you really need to know the chart let exists first! Have told MM this is a rubbish system but their response was equally rubbish - buy the PC version as well! I think the iOS version allows you to create a route that encompasses the area you are interested in and download all of the charts within it but some genius decided to omit this from the Android version even though they describe it in the manual. Other than that the app works pretty well apart from the occasional crash but you just open it up again and it takes you back where you were so annoying more than anything - so decent value for £25 but a shame they couldn't be bothered to test it properly but I guess it would be more expensive if they did.

I'm using it with a Nexus 7

Last edited:

[3889]

Visit site
Out of interest, does anyone with a recent copy of MM UK charts know if chart 3490, Port of Liverpool, is included? For some reason this is missing from my 2009 version of the software although all surrounding charts are included.

Ammonite

Visit site
Out of interest, does anyone with a recent copy of MM UK charts know if chart 3490, Port of Liverpool, is included? For some reason this is missing from my 2009 version of the software although all surrounding charts are included.

3490-1 and 3490-2 both there (2012 MM charts)

jon

Visit site
If you do not know already, there is a new version of the MM Android App now on Play Store, but to save confusion delete the old one first or they both appear. So auto updating from now on.
The new app is much better with fewer crashes and on my Galaxy note the GPS position is now accurately plotted on the screen, it used to be 50-100 metres out.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
If you do not know already, there is a new version of the MM Android App now on Play Store, but to save confusion delete the old one first or they both appear. So auto updating from now on.
The new app is much better with fewer crashes and on my Galaxy note the GPS position is now accurately plotted on the screen, it used to be 50-100 metres out.

Hmm, it may be a newer version than the one you had installed already but it seems to be a retrograde step from the version I had installed from the APK on the Memory Map web site. Functionally it is identical with no improvements as far as features and performance are concerned and I've had hells own time getting it to behave

I've had to delete and reinstall my entire map cache (no mean task as I've got the entire UK charts plus a huge swathe of OS 25k mapping. 10k street level mapping, historic mapping, air photos and what have you on there) and restart my device several times. Now it seems to be playing ball slightly better but it still isn't as stable as the version I already had installed

So I'd advise anybody that isn't having issues with the version they've got to avoid the version currently on the Play Store

jon

Visit site
So I'd advise anybody that isn't having issues with the version they've got to avoid the version currently on the Play Store
All I know of is my experience with my Samsung Galaxy Note, very different results!
I have the entire MM Marine charts and GB OS maps installed on the external card, as well as over 100 waypoints and routes. With the new app it appears to work faultlessly, it has not crashed as the previous version did constantly, and is accurate.
So far so good!

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
All I know of is my experience with my Samsung Galaxy Note, very different results!
I have the entire MM Marine charts and GB OS maps installed on the external card, as well as over 100 waypoints and routes. With the new app it appears to work faultlessly, it has not crashed as the previous version did constantly, and is accurate.
So far so good!

Ditto on the Samsung Galaxy Note :)

No easy way to check version numbers with the Android App so we may not have been starting from the same point

I now seem to have beaten it into submission anyway!

wotayottie

Visit site
Can someone please tell me how good it is as a chartplotter? Does it give you waypoints and routes and tracks and VMG,CMG,TRK,ETA and does it have wind arrows and tides etc.