Memory Map on Android Tablet - need extra licence to use as chartplotter?

Vega1447

Visit site
I find the documentation a bit unclear, my fault I'm sure.

I bought the 2014 UK & Ireland charts for MS Windows.

When I try to use the built-in GPS receiver in the Memory Map app on my Android tablet I don't see my location displayed and (again I may have misunderstood) I need an extra licence to use the GPS.

Without this licence the Memory Map app (on Android) is a chart browser rather than a chartplotter?

Seems a bit mean to be charged to use my own hardware..

Burnham Bob

Visit site
When you are at home does your tablet show your location when you open google maps? if it does your gps is working. I'm a bit confused because the app is android and you have to transfer maps (according to the bumf on google play) from your pc. Is there a setting that tells your app how to connect with the gps?

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
I've got an old version of MM that runs on a Dell PDA with Bluetooth GPS, my android phone with internal GPS, my desktop (just browsing) and on an old laptop with a Garmin GPS attached. I think you get 5 licenses with MM so should be able to install and run on that many devices with or without GPS.
Can't really help with your problem. GPS definitely switched on? Click on 'GPS Lock' in main menu. Check out the 'Settings' in the main menu.

Vega1447

Visit site
When you are at home does your tablet show your location when you open google maps? if it does your gps is working. I'm a bit confused because the app is android and you have to transfer maps (according to the bumf on google play) from your pc. Is there a setting that tells your app how to connect with the gps?

The tablet works fine - Navionics displays my position..

But the instructions for Memory Map for Android are a bit opaque imo..

Bodach na mara

Visit site
Works fine for me on an Acer B710 tablet. I had a bit of difficulty following the set-up for MemoryMap, but managed eventually. IIRC, I had to activate the licence for the tablet at home while on-line, but I think that the MM licence covers two PCs and several mobile devices.

NickRobinson

Visit site
The MMap licence has changed since I first bought in c.2012. Now it allows 2 pcs and 3 mobile devices.

Have you registered your tablet? I guess yes, as you can see the charts. If you go to your registration page, it will list your permissions. I could see 'GPS permission needed' but it worked anyway.

MMap have quite flaky online manuals but skilled telephone help. Don't be fobbed off with email advice cutting and pasting from the manual-

N