Memory 19 Topsail

Rik_A

Visit site
Hello, newbie here. I've been sailing dinghies for ten years, and have just bought myself a Memory 19 (2006, cabin, outboard in well, tabernacle mast).

Are there any memory sailors here?
where do you cleat off the topsail halyard/downhaul/outhaul?
Where do you stow the damn great thing when it isn't being used?
does the sheave pin in the end of the boom just knock out? I think I need to do this as the outhaul strop has a hard eye in each end and won't pass the sheave as it stands. I'm using a soft eye strop for now, cleated at the outboard end of the boom.

thanks,

...Rik

Lucy Louise, Tollesbury

Romeo

Visit site
Someone posted a query on here fairly recently enquiring about main sheet arrangements on the Memory 19, scroll down the way until you find it and can send a PM.

Great boats the memories. I presume many people stow their topsails in the Garage, most of the time. They have a fair amount of sail area without it!

Nick Costen

Visit site
Are there any memory sailors here?

We have one - very much the same age and with the same features.

where do you cleat off the topsail halyard/downhaul/outhaul?

We have a couple of extra cleats on the front side of the cabin trunk which we use for making things like that off.

Where do you stow the damn great thing when it isn't being used?

It is really rather long, I know. Our usual solution is to roll it up around the jackyard and sling it underneath the boom. It's just short enough. The alternative is to attach it to one of the shrouds (or leave the yard ashore if there's much wind).

does the sheave pin in the end of the boom just knock out? I think I need to do this as the outhaul strop has a hard eye in each end and won't pass the sheave as it stands. I'm using a soft eye strop for now, cleated at the outboard end of the boom.

On this, I'm harder pressed to help you - I don't think I've ever un-rigged the outhaul (a job for my Father) and the boat is 300 miles away. I think it must; I'll ask.

See you,

Nick
Mnemosyne, Topsham.

dur

www.gaff-rig.co.uk
It's a few years since we had our Memory but I think the sheet went to one of the reefing cleats on the front of the boom. Not much in it though. Lots of fun if the jackyard gets itself between gaff and peak halyards!
Worth looking up the East Coast Old Gaffers. I would think that they will have some Memorys in their fleet.

Nick Costen

Visit site
Having consulted with my Father, it seems that the topsail halyard / downhaul (attached end-for-end to form a loop) is made off on a cleat attached to the lower port side of the mast. This keeps the force as vertical as possible. It's also a good idea to put a hitch around the lower end of the jackyard, to help keep it upright.

The location of the topsail sheet cleat isn't as important; the force direction is determined by the eyes up on the gaff. This is made off on the cabin front cleats.

I agree about the propensity of the jackyard to get places it shouldn't. Raising the yard with the halyard, keeping it vertical by simultaneously applying force on the downhaul and playing both to thread the yard through the lines is, well fun! Especially as you tend to do it while standing on the leeward side of the narrow, unguarded deck, looking up and leaning back to see what's going on...

Discussion of the boom sheave suggests that an eye has to come off the outhaul before it can be unroved. I have to admit I find it hard to fully credit, but I don't think either of us has tackled the problem.

Memories are lovely boats to sail. The rhythm of tacking with the runners and requirement to keep the jib aback is particularly satisfying. I'm only sad that they aren't cutters...

Nick

dur

www.gaff-rig.co.uk
Some have been converted to cutters. I have a photo but trying to post it using my tablet has defeated me. You just need a longer piece of wood another sail and more nerve!

Bembo

Visit site
Hello. Like the original poster of this thread, I am newly registered on this forum. I too have a Memory 19, and have happily sailed it for the past two years, from home in East Suffolk. Rather embarrassingly, I've never deployed the topsail. This means I'm little use in answering the original question, but very interested in this, and any other memory rigging related info. Specifically, I'm keen to see how others have brought their controls back the cockpit. I currently tie onto cleats on the mast foot, which gets a bit crowded and means leaving the cockpit. I'd also be interested to hear how others have their mainsheet arranged. Pictures paint a thousand words, but any information will be gratefully received. Thanks in advance, and all the best for 2018.

Rik_A

Visit site
Cabin version. Blocks on the front edge, nearly in line with the mast. Lines led through to belaying pins on the rear face of the cabin. Throat and peak halyards to port, jib halyard and topping lift to starboard. I have the Salterns manual on pdf if you want it? happy New Year. ...Rik

Bembo

Visit site
Happy New Year Rik, and thank you very much for the offer of the manual on PDF (my email sent by PM). It'll be really useful, as there are some elements of my boat which I'm pretty sure aren't as the makers intended. All the best, Ben

Poecheng

Visit site
Are these currently being made?
Looking these up last night, it seems Salterns transferred the building to a new Ltd Co associated with Collars (oars). Looking at that NewCo it seems it was dissolved in December 2017 and google doesn't identify a new builder.
Apologies in advance if I have misunderstood matters.

Bembo

Visit site
Thanks for the offer of more info Deadeyedick, but Rik (original poster) has sent me a library of info, including old Memory Owners' Newsletters and the Memory manual. Enough to keep me busy with my rigging.

What I haven't managed to find (yet) is reference to outboards best suited to the outboard well (as on my Memory). I've got a Suzuki 5hp (5FS, same as 4, 5 and 5hp Tohatsu dimensions as I understand. It just (and I mean just) fits in, though I need to take the handle off every time I attach/ detach the outboard. My boat came with (and was used by previous owner) a little Seagull. I sail on very swift tidal rivers so can't get away with a tiddler, and I wonder what others use?

Rik_A

Visit site
I have a mariner 6 HP but haven't had to pull it out yet. The right prop for a displacement hull is probably the most important thing.

Bembo

Visit site
Thanks Rik. So do you keep it in the well/ water all the time it's moored? The hassle of attaching/ detaching mine means I leave mine in all season. It's regularly fired up and comes out for clean now and again, but otherwise is in the water all the time. If I had an easier one to fit, I think I'd keep it in the cabin between sails (motors).

Rik_A

Visit site
Yes, out of laziness. It will need to come out soon for a clean. I'll let you know how I get on.
Just joined the Facebook group, should be a good place but could do with a few more members. 'Memory 19 Gaff Rig'.