Mega bytes per month?

Kaya

Visit site
I know this has probably been done to death but i can't find a answer about usage.

I'm in the UK and need a 3G dongle what kind of Mb's per month are people using? 500, 1Gb even 2Gb?

Any good deals - i don't mind contracts but would rather pay as you go if still good value for money..

Cheers
Kaya

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
A fairly normal landline broadband usage might be of the order of 2GB, if that's of any assistance. I use the internet etc. a lot when on-board and my SFR contract is for 2GB pcm.
It does, of course, depend on what you're doing. Videos, innocent or naughty, consume lots and lots. :rolleyes:

A useful tool (we've found it so) to keep volume down is Propel.

i_sail

Visit site
I know this has probably been done to death but i can't find a answer about usage.

I'm in the UK and need a 3G dongle what kind of Mb's per month are people using? 500, 1Gb even 2Gb?

Any good deals - i don't mind contracts but would rather pay as you go if still good value for money..

Cheers
Kaya

Depends what you are using to get online. If you are using a smartphone to browse, or if you are using a smartphone with a tethering facility to get your laptop online, or if you are using a tablet PC with a SIM card slot, then a very good deal IMHO is T Mobile pay as you go. You get the pay as you go SIM card, and then you pay £20 for 6 months unlimited use of the 3G internet service. Well worth a look. I have just switched to T Mobile from o2. I use an Android smartphone to browse form my boat in Shoreham, and I get full 3G signal using my T Mobile smartphone. I am on a contract, £10.21 per month, 100 mins, 100 texts, unlimited landline calls, free Android phone, unlimited internet

BrendanS

Visit site

Cheers
Kaya

It really depends on how much you use the internet, and what for. My usage is about 10 to 15GB per month, higher than most, but not abnormal. If you only connect occasionally, do a bit of browsing, and download some emails you can get away with under 5GB possibly less. If you have to download updates to operating systems, maps for GPS devices, look at a lot of youtube videos or similar, or download lots of music, your usage will be higher. If you do online gaming, it will be much much higher, etc. So really dependent on your usage.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
If in UK, then you have a lot of choice at very reasonable prices. Overseas, DO NOT USE A UK BASED SIM, as you'll need a mortgage to cover the cost. Vodafone, for example, on their Pasport package give you a rate of £2 for 25mb then something like £1 a mb thereafter!

If you don't do videos/TV programmes/lots of graphics/Skype, then we found that you could get by on 1gb per month. Once we'd found out how to watch BBC iPlayer (search for expat shield to find out how) and the kids had got on to Skype, our usage went through the roof and we got an unlimited monthly package. Didn't actually cost a vast amount more and meant we didn't have to watch the useage.

We're now in Greece and have a contract with Vodafone for unlimited useage. We seem to use about 20 - 25gb per month. We watch TV 2 - 3 evening per week, Skype most days and then do all the other internet things on top of that.

Hope that's some help.

Heckler

Visit site

Cheers
Kaya
I use s 3 dongle, PAYG, Last month I paid a tenner for 1gb. I used it all. This was being on the boat for 3 weekends only
Stu

charles_reed

Visit site

Cheers
Kaya
based upon about 7 years of usage in various EC countries, I've never gone above 3.8Gb (lots of software download) or below 1.8Gb per month.

The link is used for:-

Daily e-mail reciept 10-15; replies (about 4-6); bank sites (x4 daily), GRIB downloads and x2 weather sites daily, visiting c 6 websites daily.

Traffic will only rise if you upload a lot of graphics files (Mobile is even more assymmetric than conventional ADSL @ about 10-20% upload speed cf download).
My experience is that downloading live video is usually impossible (Skype voice OK), unless you're in a fast (3G) cell with little traffic. You'll always be edged out by cellphone traffic.
Most of Calabria, Greek islands are slow, Spain France, most Italy, Croatia, Tunisia have 3G - the Huawei dongle only connects on HDSPA and GPRS, leaves out EDGE, and as such is a dog.
I strongly advise using a decent mobile cellphone in preference - Nokia Ovi makes it all very simple - as more sensitive, less power hungry and generally far less angst-ridden.

Last edited:

maxi77

Visit site
In Portugal you can get payandgo dongles at similar prices to the UK and access is by time not data. At the optimum top up rate this ammounts to 50 cents an hour and our typical usage cost about 30 euros a month. Since obtaining a local 'fiscal number' we now have a monthly unlimited accces contract at again 30 euros a month for 12 months.