Mediterranean VHF

G

I am taking delivery of a motor cruiser to be based on the Cote D'Azur and would be grateful if anyone with experience of this area could tell me if VHF is widely used and necessary. The local boatyard have told me to use my mobile phone and as I am only sailing onshore and not venturing out of sight of land. As I am still a bit of a novice any advice would be much appreciated.

G

So there you are, gently sinking, and the coastguard's phone is engaged coz he's discussing with Madame whether they should go to Bar Mimi or Cafe des Amis du Sport this evening. Not to worry, a nice cabin cruiser is on the horizon, but unfortunately you don't know the owner's phone number.

Draw you own conclusions.

G

Like Ken says.. The UK Coastguard have said it many times. Mobile phones cannot substitute for a VHF. A cheap handheld won't cost you much, if you really aren't going that far.

Happy cruising.

G

Just a thought, boat sinking,got VHF. mayday is international but I only speak english will I be understood in the med.

G

You will be understood, if anybody is listening that is. If you are in the Greek Islands, don't bother with the radio (or the cellphone), just start swimming. There is no RNLI and no Coast Guard to speak of. The water is warm though!

G

Even around the Greek Islands, my first choice would be vhf Channel 16 to request assistance. There are loads of visitors listening on 16. As a flotilla skipper for a year in the Ionian, our vhf always 'dual watched' 16 and our working channel. And contrary to popular belief, the Greek Port Police do listen to 16: I think it's a bit much to expect them to be fluent in English. They will nevertheless do what they can to help. Just remember, the Greeks have many words like the Spanish 'mañana'. Just none that convey the same sense of urgency !

G

Let's be realistic, the main use for VHF in the Med is for talking to marinas on Channel 9.

Forget distress calls. Nobody will answer anyway excpet perhaps another yacht.

G

DO NOT rely on a mobile phone. There is no organised protocol for dealing with an emergency at sea using a cell phone. Look into DSC VHF, the new standard for VHF, when you are in a real need this technology calls for help with out even talking, and with no language problems.

G

Thanks for the advice - I guessed this may be the case and it would seem that DSC is the answer to overcome any language problems.

Other threads that may be of interest