Medical Insurance

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I cannot claim to have tested EHIC as thoroughly as Charles has but I have had surgery in Greece that was fully covered by my card. I also know several people who have suffered accident or illness that required their transport to other islands, either by ferry or by coastguard launch. In each case they were accompanied by medical professionals (a doctor and a nurse in one case), the cost being fully covered by EHIC.

GrahamM376

Visit site
Most holiday and back packers policies never get claimed against anyway as any treatment has to be authorised and the contact line tells claimants to use the EHIC as they won't pay for private treatment where state health facilities are easily available. Full blown private health insurance a different ball game of course but prohibitive costs for most who cruise on a budget.

geem

Visit site
Slight thread drift:
Aren't Martinique and Guadeloupe overseas departments of France - and part of the EU?
Would your EHIC card not be valid there?

As it would happen, I have shown my EHIC card in Martinique. I have been in hopsital here for 9 days with a prospect of anothe 7. My stay is covered by the EHIC. I have had surgery on an infection in my knee. Lots of stitches. I am on a cocktail of IV antibiotics. The university hospital here is good, once you get past A&E which is horrific.
If we had been anywhere else in the Caribbean I may not have been so lucky. I was in no condition to simply get on a flight home. Temperature of 39 DegC. Incredible pain.
We will be purchasing medivac insurance once I am out of here

charles_reed

Visit site
Good idea to compare repatriation costs from the Med to UK with my present medical insurance.

Just asked that question on couple of sites but they said it would depend on the state of the patient. Can understand that, but does anyone know what it would actually cost? At least a range? Ie for a broken leg to a spinal injury

I appreciate their dilemma - a broken leg flight back just needs a double fare at the most (for the additional seat) on a scheduled airline.

A paraplegic with breathing difficulties needs an ambulance aircraft and full medical crew.

What's wrong with being treated out there under the EHIC.

Your idea seems, to me, to neatly fall between two stools, ensuring dissatisfaction with the outcome.