MDL renewal.

Elessar

Visit site
It’s landed on the mat, for the contract starting in April.

The base price assumes I will pay monthly starting in April.

They tell me I can “save” 2% by signing and paying a month in January and then paying monthly from may.
They tell me I can “save” 6% by signing and paying the full year in January.

I can also sign and pay in January for 3 years upfront but it doesn’t tell me the saving.
Guess what - if I do this it’s 7% MORE expensive than paying for a year.
Thanks for the offer MDL I think I’ll pass.

benjenbav

Visit site
What happens to the math if you factor in 10% year on year increases over the following two years?

russ

Visit site
I'm still contemplating the best value marina to make my home. Bigger boat bigger fees so I'm currently on a monthly winter berth option until I find something suitable.
I would love to stay with MDL but a £2k difference between the independent and group marinas is definitely something to think about.

Has anyone had any joy in haggling the price down on a berthing contract?

Blue Sunray

Visit site
Has anyone had any joy in haggling the price down on a berthing contract?

It would be interesting to know. Ocean Village at least seems pretty empty apart from the leased berth area. Unsurprisingly (IMHO) the 'platinum' offer doesn't seem to have been taken up to any great extent and many of those premium berths that were occupied last time I looked were taken up with Sunseeker Poole's for sale stock boats.

Ian h

Visit site
Currently with MDL but looking into moving to Premier or Trafalgar Wharf, renewal had gone up by 10% which I have challenged , See what they come back with .

maby

Visit site
It would be interesting to know. Ocean Village at least seems pretty empty apart from the leased berth area. Unsurprisingly (IMHO) the 'platinum' offer doesn't seem to have been taken up to any great extent and many of those premium berths that were occupied last time I looked were taken up with Sunseeker Poole's for sale stock boats.

I'm not sure how much that is due to price. We were at Ocean Village for a long time and quite liked it until they built that new hotel right next to it - then it became noisy and we moved out.

oldgit

Visit site
MDL Chatham have definately "firmed up " their visitor prices for this year.
A visit last month cost in excess of £40.00 for a single night, a noticeable increase on the previous year.
Rumour that occupancy rate is 75% of capacity.

Cathy*

Visit site
Ours arrived yesterday, mdl plymouth. I wondered if it was just ours sending out this ridiculous 'offer' as they have a new fuel barge to pay for next year. £5339 for next year with the 6% reduction. £17122.52 for 3 years.

Blue Sunray

Visit site
I'm not sure how much that is due to price. We were at Ocean Village for a long time and quite liked it until they built that new hotel right next to it - then it became noisy and we moved out.

Understandable, they finished that a year or two back, (the deluge of noise complaints to the council eventually had an effect on the bar music) and having promised that it was the last major development they are now proposing a a massive tower block on the car park.

https://planningpublicaccess.southa...ils.do?keyVal=PU0OCOOZG2G00&activeTab=summary

Last edited:

Phildorset

Visit site
The new hotel looks very smart and adds to the scene nicely I think, when we stayed at OV during the Soton boat show this year it wasn't the hotel noise that was the problem - it was another visiting motor boat party with no manners or sense of decency that wound their music up as loud as possible and rudely resisted polite requests to calm it down at 2am+... I can imagine the owners of the apartments must think we're all a bunch of inconsiderate idiots,

Assassin

Visit site
Typical sales scam, add 10% then offer e small percentage reduction meaning they still charge more than before.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
When I read posts like this I am pleased I have my little swing mooring from Her Maj the Queen who charges me £120 a year apparently it might go up this year to help out Prince Andrew..... Have you seen the new 50p piece.

50p.jpg

Last edited:

Boat2016

Visit site

Boat2016

Visit site
Just received an email from MDL promoting winter berthing offers at a lot lower rates than the loyal annual berth holders get, how do they get away with that one ?

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Just received an email from MDL promoting winter berthing offers at a lot lower rates than the loyal annual berth holders get, how do they get away with that one ?

Existing customers are in the keep net they think..... Need good bait to catch new ones.

The real issue is that many of the richer boat owners just stomp up the fees no questions asked as it is small beer to many of them

Cathy*

Visit site
I don't think the rates are lower. As an annual berth holder we pay more in the summer months and less in the winter it just doesn't show on the bill. It's only if you leave during the low season you discover how little you get back.

maby

Visit site
The new hotel looks very smart and adds to the scene nicely I think, when we stayed at OV during the Soton boat show this year it wasn't the hotel noise that was the problem - it was another visiting motor boat party with no manners or sense of decency that wound their music up as loud as possible and rudely resisted polite requests to calm it down at 2am+... I can imagine the owners of the apartments must think we're all a bunch of inconsiderate idiots,

The mobo owners have always been a problem at OV - but the hotel just tipped it beyond tolerable.