Md5a - saildrive - maxi77

dllcooper

Visit site
A small amoun of water has been gathering around the very base of the saildrive occasionally. It is hard to tell where it is coming from. This water seems very oily, maybe the internal saildrive seal is giving way? Maybe somewhere else? I havent been to the boat for a few weeks, I hope it hasnt got worse!

Any ideas, maybe the dreaded bellows need replacing, they look like new from inside?

saildrive.jpg

philwebb

Visit site
Hi, I used to havethe same setup with an MD5b. The rubber seal is pretty bombproof. I once saw a boat lifted with the sling under the sail drive. They dropped it back in promptly and the rubber seal survived. The leak is probably on the connector to the raw water inlet. Try chopping off the end of the pipe and remaking the joint. It might be the brass tap leaking through the gland (where the spindle goes into the body). These leaks will only happen when the tap is on.
The water could also be coming from the water pump and running down the rubber pipe. This is quite an expensive fix as often the stainless shaft in the pump is scored and will need replacing.

dllcooper

Visit site
Dear Phil - Thanks for that and very reassuring! I have been told it is a big job to replace it and dont fancy attacking that with my finances at the moment. The seal itself looks in great condition, no cracks or anything or other signs of 'giving way'. I would like to install an auto bilge pump next season in case of emergency. How might I go about then fixing the water inlet tap do you think, it is nothing major though concerned it might get worse!

David