MD22 volvo fresh water pump replacement

Peter

Visit site
My engine fresh water pump (not sea water pump) has failed, hole in casing and not sure how it go there, casting defect? Are these a "standard" engine water pump or do I have to go through volvo for a new one? Or any sources for a second hand one?

Thanks

Peter

DavidGrieves

www.wsandba.co.uk
Hi

I'm pretty sure the MD22 is a Perkins engine that was fitted to LDV vans and the Montego cars!
So you could try any car parts dealer.

The hole you mention... is it under the pump just behind the pully? Could be the tell tale, water will run out of it if the pump seals have gone. From memory, I don't think you can replace the seals.

I had an old LDV van and had to replace the water pump. You have to remove the whole cam belt casing and pull the drive pullys from there shafts to get the back half of the casing off. I ended up cutting the case in half so I didn't have to remove any of the cambelt drive pullys. I cable tied it all back together and stuck duct tape over the join. OK it didn't look pretty but it saved me a whole lot of work and time, was an old van any way...

Hi
Just read your location, I'm Whitehaven too, South Harbour. Go see Hobo, he'll sort it...!

Last edited:

Bobc

Visit site
I think this is the same engine block as mine (TAMD22), which is a Perkins Prima engine.

This was originally the British Leyland O series as used in the Ital, Princess, etc. Then the turned it into a deisel and put it into the Meastro, Montego, and Sherpa/LDV vans.

I've just replaced my coolant pump with an LDV unit (volvo wanted over £200 for a green one).

The pump you want is this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FWP1567-FIRST-LINE-WATER-PUMP-GASKET-LDV-Sherpa-1-7-2-0-85-/150676985674?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item23150c574a

You will need to block-up the small diameter outlet.

As David says, you have to remove the cambelt and injection pump pulleys, but if just undo all of the cambelt inner cover bolts, you can lean the cover forward far enough to get behind it and replace the pump without removing the crank pulley.

I bet the back seal has gone on yours (that's what wen on mine). You get a drip from the hole behind the pulley which then runs down onto the oil filter and into the sump.

Hope that helps

Bob

Last edited:

Goldie

Visit site
My engine fresh water pump (not sea water pump) has failed, hole in casing and not sure how it go there, casting defect? Are these a "standard" engine water pump or do I have to go through volvo for a new one? Or any sources for a second hand one?

Thanks

Peter

If you decide not to go down the automotive route, have you tried Keypart? They claim Volvo spares at non-Volvo prices. I have the Perkins Prima 50 which, as others have suggested is (I believe) basically the same engine. I use DiPerk for Perkins spares - good service and reasonable prices.