MD2030D and P120 Saildrive Gear Selection Problems

paulrae

Visit site
Maybe two problems here - looking for diagnostics and possible solutions before going back to the boat and trying again.

Over the last few uses of the boat (before and after lift-out) we've noticed that forward gear is slow to engage and the morse lever travel is greater than it used to be. Sometimes coming out of forward and into neutral there's a nasty graunching sound and the engine nearly stalls. This is even when we move the morse lever very gently/slowly from forward to neutral.

I've disconnected the morse cable at the gearbox end to test. With the engine running the engagement of forward sometimes has a delay ( a second or two). Coming out of forwards there's no problem - it sometimes jumps straight into reverse without the graunching/partial stall.

The gearbox is filled with the correct oil - same as the engine.

I 'll fiddle with the cable adjustment to see if that helps, but from other threads that I've read it looks like there may be an issue with the cone clutch(es)?

Can anyone cheer me up and offer any further diagnostics/trouble shooting, please?

Martin_J

Visit site
I would get the cable adjustment perfect first. You don't want there to be pressure on the gearbox selector lever in either direction when either in gear or in neutral is selected.

I would compare that to driving a car with your left foot rested permanently/heavily on the clutch pedal.