MBM's new editor - what will you tell him...?

G

Re: MBM\'s new editor - what will you tell him...?

Congratulations Jake, a well deserved position for you. Might see you in April as i'm coming up and doing work experience with Kim for a week. If you ever have anything you think i would beable to handle do ever hesitate to ask. I'm so glad that someone with your experience and of course humour got the job. But i have to ask, when am i going to get a copy of your next book? Suzanne Perrott (Kwaver) PS Nice seeing you at the boat show! xxx

G

More Variety

Could we please see more variety in the boats tested? MBM seems to test every single version and variation of Fairline, Princess, Sunseeker et al - but then don't test ANY of some makes of boat that may equally be of interest to its readers. I appreciate that Fairline, Sunseeker etc spend a fortune on adverts with you, but lets see things a bit more balanced??

G

Better boat reports/Fuel prices comparison

I would suggest you look through this forum and you can clearly see the issues that are of most interest and even gauge the depth of interest by the number of replies Clearly fuel costs by location monthly table would be highly useful I would like to see improved boat reports with much much more in depth detail and careful comparisons feature by feature (safety, comfort, handling, ease of use etc) with all similar competitor boats

G

Re: Leave Riverbank alone!

Touched a nerve there, I guess, but assuming this forum represents a cross section of readers, I dont see a huge amount of discussion on river issues and bugger-all on European waterways. Just to start the ball rolling, I've got a topic for discussion - Why are there so many 30knot flybridge cruisers parked on the Thames?

G

Tell ya why Mike mate, mooring fees are a lot less than on the coast, the social life is splendid and many of us (inc. yours truly) are fed up with the soul-less Solent Sewer. The only draw back is the stupid BSS. Access to the Continent is great and the East Coast is readily available too. I was moored at various spots on the Solent for twenty years+ and only came on the Thames when I bought a boat here, figgured I would finish that season here, ended up still here 14 years and a Thames-side house later. Never regretted it though I do spend most the summer salt side. But why a 30k boat? it doesn't restrict the re-sale market when its time to sell thats why. Incidentally I wonder how people that ordered single screw Broom 38s are going to get on when they come to sell, do you think they have restricted their re-sale market? As you, like I are in the throes of getting a new boat I wonder what your opinion is.

G

Just another vote for more river news and reviews of older cheaper boats, how about covering the opening of the relief channel on the great ouse this spring.

G

Byron, I spent my formative boating years pottering around on the Thames but I've gladly swapped waiting for an hour and a half to battle through Boulters Lock, being subjected to obscene bawling from rowers and finding locks shut half the year for the Solent scrum; I suppose you can always get away from the Solent by heading out into the blue yonder, something you cant do on the Thames. I take your point re resale and I cant imagine why anyone would buy a single screw Broom 38. I also take your point re accessibility of the E Coast/Continent but it's not something you can do for a weekend and I guess only a handful of Thames boats ever actually venture out into the briny. If you go to Holland, you see very few planing boats on their inland waterways but, here, boaters seem willing to pay for 2 huge turbo-charged engines in a planing hull to potter about at 4 mph. It's not a criticism, only an observation

G

I don't know when you were last on the Thames but movements are way way way down on even 5 years ago. If it was 10 years ago or more then you wouldn't believe how much movements are down. The BSS has sent people scuttling for non Environment Agency controlled waters, the cost of a licence has knocked something like 80% of hire boats off the river.(forgetting the nemesis of rowers) Locks are improved many are now on power to 9pm at night from 8am. It really is a changed river. Sure! you still get queues but only at certain times like Regattas or just before home time on a Sunday. Anyways... look at the mouth of the Hamble on a summer Sunday evening.

G

You're right, it was about 12 years ago since we last moored on the Thames and about 9 years ago that we last ventured up the non-tidal part. I seem to remember that we were treated like lepers on that occasion, having to pay a ludicrous fee (which I think I had to go to Reading to pay), tie some bits of wood to the side of the boat with the boats name on (and then the keeper at Teddington gave us a long lecture about the size of the lettering) and seal up the toilets. Then we were stopped at Molesey by a nice policeman in a panda car because a local resident had complained about our wash (I now know you all potter about on 1 engine). We have'nt been back! Pity since the Thames is very attractive, both thru' London and the upper part

G

Now they do a one month pass, still expect bogs to be sealed, and imposed a stupid speed limit of 8 kilometeres an hour (what boats work in Ks?) As far as the Copper is concerned - none of his business, they have no authority unless a crime is being committed.

G

Congrats etc.

"Straight" boat tests, rather than the waffly naratives of the day out and micro-detail pics. Other equipment/interest mags (eg hi-fi) go straight in at a price level and compare more.

I'd be interested to see more crossover from the forums to the magazines... such as umm, instead of just a review of xyz marina, have a poll on the website about it and invite ratings/rantings. Perhaps. Otherwise we only have a nice reviewer who won't/can't really slag it off the duff places. Also, there'd be more "insider" info with don't do /don't miss etc.

The bit about a (limited, cheap paper) Loot thing is interesting.

G

Thanks everyone - points taken!

Thanks to everyone who has taken the trouble to reply. It's good to know that we're thinking along more or less the same lines. Some changes have already taken place, as you will see in the May issue, whilst others will take a little longer to filter through. What we are very keen to do here is keep the magazine content as broad as possible, with a much greater emphasis on practical ideas, and a closer look at affordable boating. No, we're not going to be another PBO, but we are going to be a 'hands on' title. Motorboats of all shapes and sizes, from humble home builds to the very latest from manufacturers far and wide, are going to receive equal exposure. To broaden our practical base, we have also started head-hunting for an experienced technical writer, who will assist our technical editor and have the onerous task of testing boats and gear to even more exacting standards than usual. Please remember, though, that if something interests you, more than likely it will interest us. 'True Story' accounts of a trip you have made, a good anchorage or haven you have found, an amusing anecdote you have heard, or news of a friend who has done a competent rebuild - we need to hear about it. Keep a camera handy! Funds are waiting for anything that gets into print. Thanks again for all your feedback. The team will be out and about as much as possible this year, and please feel free to bend my ear about anything! Good cruising.

Jake

G

Made a mess of that, DONT hesitate to contact me, in the building on work experience with Kim from 2nd until 6th April 2001. Anything you want, just ask. Suzanne xXx