Mayday near Swin Spitway Sunday 18th June about 13:00

Vamoose

www.flickr.com
Did any one listen to the radio traffic concerning this incident? Thankfully it turned out to be mistake. However I was amazed at how non responsive the coastguard were to calls from other yachts trying to relay information to them .

And apparently having no idea about the location of the casualty despite them receiving the mayday from a DSC radio which gave them the position.

I cant say what I heard on the radio, did much for my confidence in them.

Last edited:

ex-Gladys

Visit site
Yes, we did... Mind you, reception from Dover CG was very poor for a lot of our trip to Burnham and back. Safety broadcasts were there, but badly interrupted on 86...

tillergirl

Visit site
Had a conversation with a member of the Lifeboat crew today who had had a shout up the Colne yesterday. He expressed an opinion that the CG were understaffed ; e.g. two staff to cover (he thought) from Hastings to Aldeburgh. If he is right, it is inevitable for comms to be poor without blaming the individuals. I appreciate the opinion wasn't based upon full knowledge.

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
I was coming up the Blackwater and listened to the CG requesting information, think the yacht involved is 'Viranha' or 'Piranha'? Someone who had been speaking to the boat's owner earlier that day informed Dover that the owner was fine and that it had been a mistake but the CG seemed to have difficulty hearing him. Several yachts, including me, offered to pass information but there definitely seemed to be a comms issue.

Having said that, it's very difficult to send a DSC Mayday by mistake, so on that basis the owner of the boat in trouble might need to have some radio instruction.

MoodySabre

Visit site
I was coming up the Blackwater and listened to the CG requesting information, think the yacht involved is 'Viranha' or 'Piranha'? Someone who had been speaking to the boat's owner earlier that day informed Dover that the owner was fine and that it had been a mistake but the CG seemed to have difficulty hearing him. Several yachts, including me, offered to pass information but there definitely seemed to be a comms issue.

Having said that, it's very difficult to send a DSC Mayday by mistake, so on that basis the owner of the boat in trouble might need to have some radio instruction.
There was lots of comms with Piranha. I think it's a sailing school yacht based on a river south of the Blackwater (ahem)

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
Mayday for running aground in zero wind?
Crikey i have hit 90% of the banks in the thames estuary. Would not have done street cred much good if i had sent a mayday every time

Totally with you there. In fact I went aground a few hours later trying to give a barge room that was turning for the quay at Maldon. It was made far worse as it happened in full view of the Queen's Head and so my shame was complete!! In fairness though, i wanted to sail under his stern where I knew the water was but didn't want to get in his way.

Vamoose

www.flickr.com
I believe the person concerned in this incident has many years experience and more sea miles under his belt that many others.. The mayday was an auto call from a DSC Radio which was activated by mistake whilst trying to resolve another problem. There but for the grace of God.... etc etc

Triassic

Visit site
If indeed the vessel involved was a training school one then the mistake is easily understood. Activating the DSC Mayday facility is part of the RYA training in various situations (MOB for example) and it wouldn't be the first time a student has actually pushed the button instead of just "pretending" to.......