Max 2900RPM on 33' AD41A

TrueBlue33

Visit site
Hey all,

I know this has been brought up a bunch of times, but wondering if I could get some advice?

I have just bought a 1989 33' Markline 900 with a single VP AD41A @ 1800hrs, with a VP DP290 sterndrive. Ok the maiden voyage, we could only get up to about 2900RPM @ 9knts. The further I push the controls, nothing else happens. No smoke or anything, just doesn't rev harder and doesn't sound any different.

The engine revs to 3900RPM in neutral under no load, recently serviced, clean hull, turbo spins freely with no visible extra clearance between turbo impeller and housing. I've gone through the seawater system and cleaned it right out.

I asked the original owners who have had it for 12 years, and they said that's just how fast the old girl goes, which shows me it's not something new, and has been doing it for a long time.

From what I've read, it could be over-propped, could be a diesel bug/restriction, back pressure from the exhaust out the leg, turbo issue (i dont hear the turbo when under load... should I?).

Any other ideas? Does anyone know where to find out what size prop should be on there?

Thanks all! 🤙

scottie

Visit site
May be de rated (for commercial purposes ) and used for pleasure purposes hence the explanation given
Check spec number with Volvo to confirm
Worth putting it through a prop calculator