Mast Steps

JayBee

Visit site
A friend is intending to fit mast steps to her Rival 34. She wants the fully enclosed, permanently usable type, with a triangular profile and of aluminium construction.
So far an internet search has failed to uncover a source for this type of mast step, so any info on likely suppliers here or abroad would be much appreciated. The boat is currently in Germany.
Thanks in advance to any responders.

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
A friend is intending to fit mast steps to her Rival 34. She wants the fully enclosed, permanently usable type, with a triangular profile and of aluminium construction.
So far an internet search has failed to uncover a source for this type of mast step, so any info on likely suppliers here or abroad would be much appreciated. The boat is currently in Germany.
Thanks in advance to any responders.

Make sure the triangular support is underneath not on top. (Nasty story of man who fell backwards with feet trapped in the second variety. Eventually fell to his death.)

D

Deleted member 36384

Make sure the triangular support is underneath not on top. (Nasty story of man who fell backwards with feet trapped in the second variety. Eventually fell to his death.)

As opposed to slipping off the step installed upside down. Mount them the way the manufacturer states. I own a Rival 41C and have a stainless triangular tube style. Believe me, in a sea, on the mast steps, you will be glad of the side support on your feet as it means that you don't need to use all your energy squeezing the mast with your thighs to stop swinging out.

The risk that Graham states is obviously real and must be considered. Whatever type of mast steps are used, climbing the mast should still be carried out with a harness being tailed by another crew, or descender device that slides up a taught halyard when climbing single handed. I have been guilty of running up my mast steps without secondary fall protection when younger, but I am older now, less fit, heavier and the last time I did that I was at risk, never again, use a back up line.

VicS

Visit site
If fitted upside down as you suggest there is nothing to prevent your foot sliding off the end

V1701

Visit site
I've had boats with them and without them. I'd rather have them. If it were me I'd make them from some 25mm/6mm alu - a metre of it is less than £15 and you'd get 2 (possibly 3) steps out of each metre. The type that she wants in one of the links above are E70 each...:eek:

rogerthebodger

Visit site
There has been some valid comments about the detailed design of mast.

Halyard wrapping
foot slipping off.
Falling and foot catching instep support.

I fitted something similar to these folding steps with a upstand to stop your foot slipping off. Also no upper loop to catch foot if you slip

mast-steps2.jpg

Fixed steps like these should also have an upstand to stop your foot slipping off and easy to make and can be made from aluminium strip in 2 pieces.

22191-8059165.jpg

A line can also be threaded between each of the steps on each side of the maast to help prevent halyard wrapping around the steps.

NormanS

Visit site
My boat has two masts. I made fixed steps for the mizzen, but bought folding steps for the mainmast. Both are good, but on balance, I prefer the folding ones.
Fixed steps are very easy to make, particularly the ones made of bent flat material. If you can't make them, there is someone on EBay making them out of stainless steel strip @£6.50 each.
Fit them the right way up. The danger of your foot slipping off the step is far greater than the possibility of your foot catching, after you have already fallen off and inverted.

NormanS

Visit site
There has been some valid comments about the detailed design of mast.

Halyard wrapping
foot slipping off.
Falling and foot catching instep support.

I fitted something similar to these folding steps with a upstand to stop your foot slipping off. Also no upper loop to catch foot if you slip

mast-steps2.jpg

Fixed steps like these should also have an upstand to stop your foot slipping off and easy to make and can be made from aluminium strip in 2 pieces.

22191-8059165.jpg

A line can also be threaded between each of the steps on each side of the maast to help prevent halyard wrapping around the steps.

Are these steps in the lower picture just hooked into holes in the mast? I don't think that would fill me with confidence.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Are these steps in the lower picture just hooked into holes in the mast? I don't think that would fill me with confidence.

I just picked the pic from Mr Google.

It looks like it only clips in and I would not trust that.

My folding steps are now bolted on with M6 stainless cap screws tapped into the 5mm thick mat wall.

I did have then pop riveted using 5mm aluminium rivets as I could not get monel

Sailboat mast steps by Cape Horn | NauticExpo

Seems they are designed that way as they can be fitted as you go up and removed when you come down

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
The Seldon ones are excellent and very secure but a folding one at the gooseneck to keep the area as clear as possible is worth doing and don't forget to put a pair at the top so you are on both feet rather than just one when working at the top of the mast.

Rappey

Visit site
Quite a few different styles on ebay..
I fitted lazyjacks and the mast pulley blocks are above the spreaders. the mainsheet halyard often gets caught on this tiny little pulley so i certainly need steps to get up there to keep freeing it ... haha

rogerthebodger

Visit site
The Seldon ones are excellent and very secure but a folding one at the gooseneck to keep the area as clear as possible is worth doing and don't forget to put a pair at the top so you are on both feet rather than just one when working at the top of the mast.

I fitted 2 at the top but having a mast head rig I find the either the backstay of forestay gets in the way so cannot stand on both steps at the same time. If I try to straddle the back stay its "very uncomfortable to say the least". I could also damage me for life if I slip.

JayBee

Visit site
Many thanks to all who responded to my original post. very useful and interesting. I will pass this thread on.