Mast Steps

summerwind

Visit site
I am considering fitting mast steps to my steel ketch. As I sail more or less single handed I thoght they would be a good idea. Then I saw the price - about £10.00 each plus the VAT seems a bit excessive for a piece of bent aluminium.

Is there a supplier who has a lower price, or am I misunderstanding the technical difficlties of producing such sophisticated equipment? Maybe they are cheaper in France?

Any feed back appreciated.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
As this forum is sponsored by Practical Boat Owner, why not make them yourself?

Some ali strip, a hacksaw, a file and a drill. Cut an appropriately shaped wooden 'male' to bend then around, whack 'em with a mallet, paint in epoxy, stick a bit of non-skid strip on the tread. Hey presto, Robert's your father's brother.

I assume you're not talking about those fancy fold-up ones, though.

ccscott49

Visit site
You will need fairly thick ally strip, difficult to bend. To allow it to bend, heat with a gas torch or whatever, testing all the time with a matchstick rub the end of the matchstick on the ally, when it leaves a brown streak on the ally, dunk in cold water the ally will now be annealed and you can bend it to shape. Once it is bent to shape, tap it all over for about three or four minutes, it is now harder and will hold its shape better. You could screw a bit of wood, teak to the tread, to make it considerably stronger, but 4mm strip should be OK.

ParaHandy

Visit site
Ascenders

You could use these as an alternative. Get them from a climbing/mountaineering shop. They clamp onto a halyard (made fast) and with two of them - one for your feet and t'other for chair - up you go. For full description go into the Cruising Assoc website (cruising.org.uk - it's in the non-members section). For when the mast is swinging about a bit, I think you might feel safer than with steps. I've used them many times with no problem - at least I'm still alive to tell the tale.

charles_reed

Visit site
Like the after mast on a yawl, mast steps were an affectation - of those who liked to kid the rest of the world thay were seasoned Blue-water sailors.

Far more cost-effective are the mast steps you hoist using your mast track and main halyard.

They are cheaper in France, about FF65, but cheapest of all is to get them fabricated by a little local engineer.
In alloy you can reckon they'll cost you about £3 each.

If you want someone to make them for you I can give you one or two contacts, unsmirched by contact with the marine leisure industry.
If so e-mail me direct.

jfkal

Visit site
I use the folding type made by ABI and sold through West Marine at 15.99 USD. I was grinding my teeth at the price as well. Especially since they are made in China and cost a few cents there to make.
Some advise: Stick to aluminium and avoid steel. Use folding ones to save your sails. Do not use the mountaineering dangling ladder to save your live. If you need to go up the mast it is most likely out at sea and not during calm weather so you want to have something solid to step- and hold on.

tonyleigh

Visit site
Apols if you're wanting solid - all depends on boat, usage, user etc of course but . . . . Source of quite a clever webbing loops ladder which hoisted in the mainsail luff groove is Westaway Sails, Ivybridge, 01752 892560. Guide price - 30ft $115, 45 ft £160.