Mast Hoops

petercrook

Visit site
We thought replacing Cautious Clara's damaged mast hoops would be just a case of buying new ones the same diameter as the old. But the old ones are different diameters, from 8 1/2" to 10"! What diameter should we use for a 7 1/4" mast?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
I think it very much depends on the shape of your mainsail!

How much knock back is there at the boom and how is the luff secured to the gaff jaws? The hoops must of course lie very slightly slack when the luff is bar taut.

Of course, you could always chicken out and join those of us who use a lacing!

<hr width=100% size=1>Que scais-je?

Peterduck

Visit site
I think that when I made my mast hoops I gave them an inch over the mast diameter, and they are working fine. I also connected them to each other via a light line [codline] attached to the opposite side of the hoop from the luff of the sail. The top end of this line is attached to the parrel lacing of the gaff jaws. The purpose of the line is to hold the hoops horizontal while the sail is being raised and lowered. It just makes sure that there is no binding during the operation.
Peter.

<hr width=100% size=1>

petercrook

Visit site
Thanks - so as most of them were 9 - 9 1/2" maybe we'll stick with that. We'd already cottoned on to the idea of the line on the foreside of the hoops - the top one in particular used to bind on the mast so tightly that Elspeth couldn't hoist the sail on her own! Although since laying up we wondered if beeswax would solve the problem more elegantly.

<hr width=100% size=1>

petercrook

Visit site
Re: Not beeswax

The Pardeys seem to swear by beeswax for all their friction-reducing needs, but perhaps they can't get tallow. They don't have any mast hoops of course!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Peterduck

Visit site

Beeswax is not a particularly good lubricant. If you rub your thumb over a block of it you'll see what I mean. I use lanolin, which is readily available in a country which has more sheep than people! I can buy this as a grease or a penetrating spray. Tallow, of course, is very readily available by rendering down beef fat. It's Dripping by another name.
Peter.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site

Vaseline is also pretty good, if you dislike smearing dead cow (in my case) or sheep (in Peter's case) over your boat.

All of these need to be wiped off with a rag and white spirit and replaced fairly regularly as they pick up dirt from the atmosphere and stop lubricating.

Beeswax is more sticky than slippy IMHO.

<hr width=100% size=1>Que scais-je?

ianwright

Home: Peterborough, Mooring, Heybridge Basin
Visit site

"Vaseline is also pretty good"
Yes it is and can be improved by the addition of liquid paraffin.
I slather the leather lining of the gaff jaws, the individual hoops and as much of the mast as I can reach.
The mixture seems to wash off or evaporate in a few days so no mucky build up, but I do need to reapply it from time to time..
Mast shinning or hoop climbing is not a good idea once at optimum slippyness,,,,,,,,,,,,, :)

IanW

<hr width=100% size=1>Vertue 203, Patience