Mast compression

kac

Visit site
I viewed a 2005 Bavaria 30 recently, I noticed that the forecabin door was difficult to close. The door was very tight over the door catch plate. Is this a sign of mast compression, should I be concerned, I guess only a survey would/could reasure me or diagnose the issue.

sailorman

Visit site
I viewed a 2005 Bavaria 30 recently, I noticed that the forecabin door was difficult to close. The door was very tight over the door catch plate. Is this a sign of mast compression, should I be concerned, I guess only a survey would/could reasure me or diagnose the issue.

was she afloat or ashore

jwdorst

Visit site
We own a 1994 Bav 390. In the winter and early spring, the doors will not close properly, regardless of whether she is in the water or out, or whether the mast is rigged or not.

Once the temperature goes up and the the boat has been properly ventilated a couple of times, the problem disappears. I put it down to natural swelling of the wood.

You might want to have a look at the boat again in the next couple of weeks and see if things have improved. Ask the seller to ventilate well for a couple of days if possible.

30boat

N/A
Visit site
We own a 1994 Bav 390. In the winter and early spring, the doors will not close properly, regardless of whether she is in the water or out, or whether the mast is rigged or not.

Once the temperature goes up and the the boat has been properly ventilated a couple of times, the problem disappears. I put it down to natural swelling of the wood.

You might want to have a look at the boat again in the next couple of weeks and see if things have improved. Ask the seller to ventilate well for a couple of days if possible.
That sounds more plausible than deformation from mast compression.Bavaria doors have solid wood frames than will swell in wet weather.

Tranona

Visit site
I have the same in my 2001 37. Purely down to rig tension. The door frames float in the bulkhead and the bulkhead is not solidly attached to the coachroof. Being fractionally rigged backstay tension is not an issue, but tension on the aft shrouds is. Excess tension will compress the coachroof enough to move the frame. It can only go a small amount because there is a substantial compression post down to the keel.

If the door is just binding on the lock plate, you can recess it into the frame. If it binds on the frame you might be able to re-position the door by recessing one of the hinges - which is what I did on mine. Slackening off the rigging screws a quarter turn may also help.

Tranona

Visit site
Would not bother with the broker. If everything else about the boat looks OK your surveyor will pick up if there is a serious problem. However, as I suggested it is common and easily fixed.