Masking Epoxy Paint (Gelshield)

JumbleDuck

Visit site
After another grim morning flat on my back with a 1" chisel in my hand an a face full of paint shavings, I'm just one more scraping session and some sanding away from starting to paint the Hunter 490's bottom. I'm going to use Gelshield ... what sort of masking tape works with it? Is the normal paper stuff OK or will it form an immovable MTRP (masking tape reinforced plastic) ring around the waterline?

ghostlymoron

Visit site
i used some plastic tape to mask mine although it wasnt epoxy paint. it gave a very sharp edge and stayed on through 3 coats and 4 months. I'm told it is for car finishing and available from car accessory shops. The other stuff recommended is Frog tape from B & Q. I wouldnt use paper stuff, it might be difficult to remove and in my experience, doesn't give a sharp edge.

Cloven

Visit site
When I epoxied my boat, I used the blue stuff which can be left on for some time - 6 coats over the course of a week in my case. Maybe changed the tape about twice in that time. Worked fine.

Last edited:

Honey

Visit site
When I epoxy painted and then Copper coated my hull I used elictrical insulation tape. Cheap enough from Screwfix or toolstation and can be left on for longer periods than paper tapes.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
When I epoxied my boat, I used the blue stuff which can be left on for some time - 6 coats over the course of a week in my case. Maybe changed the tape about twice in that time. Worked fine.

When I epoxy painted and then Copper coated my hull I used elictrical insulation tape. Cheap enough from Screwfix or toolstation and can be left on for longer periods than paper tapes.

Much obliged, both. I think I have a roll or two of 1" electrical tape left from my gliding days (it's used to seal wing-fuselage joins) so I'll look for that and lay in some blue masking tape as well.