Marlec marine

galeus

Visit site
I'm in Ramsgate at present and went to the local chandler for a 13kg propane bottle exchange. £65 is what they wanted. The price I've paid for the last 2 and price on Calor site is £45.50. He was sure of his price and told me they were on 25% margin. Fortunately I carry a spare, so it will keep until I find the right price.

shanemax

Visit site
I'm in Ramsgate at present and went to the local chandler for a 13kg propane bottle exchange. £65 is what they wanted. The price I've paid for the last 2 and price on Calor site is £45.50. He was sure of his price and told me they were on 25% margin. Fortunately I carry a spare, so it will keep until I find the right price.
Its £4.50 a gallon at most garages and obviously they are making a profit. A 13kl bottle contains 6.5 gallons thats £29.25. Lets allow £5 per bottle for delivery and filling costs and here comes "Rip off Britain" again. No wonder CALOR do not want you filling your own bottles at garages denting their massive profits and the company using every safety excuse in the world.

oldgit

Visit site
"Camping International" in Gillingham Kent wanted around £10.00 more than a local caravan outfit regards 4.5K to 7K Butane bottle swop and then wanted to charge me for a "deposit" on their new 7K bottle into the bargain.
What the hell to do with my collection of empty old bottles is a mystery even our local tip is wary of them ?

Last edited:

PeterWright

Visit site
Hi Oldgit,

The answer is to sell them on e-bay. You can still get the 4.5 kg bottles refilled at Calor depots, if you ca find them. They seem to think that S Essex is in the southwest and Bury St. Edmunds in the Midlands. Not much use if you've changed your gas system to move away from these bottles but OK for lazy sods like me who haven't changed anything yet. Likely buyers are folk like me as it's good to have a couple of spares to swap when you make the journey to find one of their well hidden depots.

Peter.