Marine Quarterly

nathanlee

Visit site
Any subscribers on here?

I was unaware of the publication until last year when I contacted Sam Llewellyn regarding his Corribee, and he mentioned it. I promptly subscribed, and I must say, having now received two quarters worth of seagoing literary dream fodder, that it's perhaps the best marine publication out there; a real sailors take on putting to sea with none of the noise and fluff of unnecessarily dense adverts or page filling guides to buying things you really don't need.

Anyway, I thought I'd give it an entirely unprovoked plug, as dream kindling such as this is seldom produced these days, and while it's a tad pricey, it's worth every penny.

http://www.themarinequarterly.com

Last edited:

marklucas

Visit site
Indeed, not from the first issue but since the middle of last year.

Well written articles - how sailors from earlier days against the elements given the equipment they had is a true testament to their skill and bravery. And as ever, you can never know too much / learn something new.

As per Tom Cunliffe's quote: "The thinking sailor's journal."

ianc1200

Visit site
For those who receive it, is it worth the £40 a year subs (for 4 issues) & £10 per back issue?

Any particular issue really worth getting as a try out (perhaps east coast/small boat type cruising)?

I somehow get e mails about it, and the covers look very enticing.

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
I've had a sub since it started but didn't renew this year ... most of it interesting but some of it not ... found I was reading the whole thing very quickly and am not convinced it's worth a tenner a time. Full marks to Sam Llewelyn for the effort though.

billmacfarlane

Visit site
I'd never heard of it before I read this thread. I had a look at their web site, read a few samples which I enjoyed and ordered a back issue to see how it goes. Looks promising.