Marine Power Solutions Engines

malcolm

Visit site
Does any body know of a compatible oil filter to fit an MP214 (as in Marine Power Solutions 2 cylinder, 14hp diesel engine - Made in China) New ones are available from Holland at around £30 inc delivery but there must be a compatible one I could buy more locally.

malcolm

Visit site
Many thanks Duncan. I have tried a google search but with no definite results. I will try the In-Line Filters advance search option and see if that works.

Laminar Flow

Visit site
Does any body know of a compatible oil filter to fit an MP214 (as in Marine Power Solutions 2 cylinder, 14hp diesel engine - Made in China) New ones are available from Holland at around £30 inc delivery but there must be a compatible one I could buy more locally.
That engine has, as far as I know, a Kubota block; you could check with them. Kubota are also used in agricultural apps and the parts there are a lot cheaper than the "marine" version.

malcolm

Visit site
Thanks for your help. I think you are right about being based on a Kubota but marine power are not very communicative just directing me to Holland who are very helpful but my dutch is not too great and £30ish inc postage seems a bit steep. Marine Power UK sold the engine and now don't want to know. I have searched using google but none of the numbers on my filter match up. I'm going to try In-line filters advanced search. I'll post if I get any success.

Laminar Flow

Visit site
Thanks for your help. I think you are right about being based on a Kubota but marine power are not very communicative just directing me to Holland who are very helpful but my dutch is not too great and £30ish inc postage seems a bit steep. Marine Power UK sold the engine and now don't want to know. I have searched using google but none of the numbers on my filter match up. I'm going to try In-line filters advanced search. I'll post if I get any success.
I understand where you're coming from. I have one of those Dutch engines (Timray 58hp); they speak fluent English, bye the bye.
The critical match is the thread size on the filter. Worst case scenario would be to simply install a different filter mount that uses an easily available type. You might be able to pick up something suitable at the wreckers; as long as the replacement has the same flow-through diametre you should be good to go.
Otherwise and three years later, I'm very happy with the engine.

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
The price of the "Marine Power Solutions" marine engines is very attractive and I will be seriously considering purchasing one. But having problems getting basis things like an oil filter and lack of prompt customer service, makes me think twice.
Oil filters are not bespoke and many engines share the same oil filters and other parts. Must be a pain trying to identify suitable alternatives and I am sure there are people here on this forum who have one of these Chinese engines and should know where to find alternative oil filters; Halfords?, Euro Parts? Perhaps having the old oil filter at hand could help to find a match at the local car parts stores.

Laminar Flow

Visit site
The price of the "Marine Power Solutions" marine engines is very attractive and I will be seriously considering purchasing one. But having problems getting basis things like an oil filter and lack of prompt customer service, makes me think twice.
Oil filters are not bespoke and many engines share the same oil filters and other parts. Must be a pain trying to identify suitable alternatives and I am sure there are people here on this forum who have one of these Chinese engines and should know where to find alternative oil filters; Halfords?, Euro Parts? Perhaps having the old oil filter at hand could help to find a match at the local car parts stores.
It is easy enough to get the spares, and quickly, through the Dutch. There is also a company in Germany/Denmark that sells these engines and their bits, called Brandt. As the OP points out, they are not cheap for the consumables. Delivery these days is remarkably quick, however.
That said, I have been able to cross-reference several filters that would fit my engine; once you've found one it's easy to find others. I doubt there is such a thing as bespoke oil filters.
All the ancillary parts for these engines can easily be sourced and are replaceable by other after-market providers.

Last edited:

Laminar Flow

Visit site
I originally considered buying my engine through him. He was not easy to get hold of. When I did, the financial transaction mechanism seemed a bit dodgy to me, so I went with the Dutch company that have been running a reputable business for well over ten years and have hundreds of satisfied customer references.

The yard in Friesland where we kept our boat at the time had installed several of them and told me they were a solid piece of machinery. The yard mechanic had one in his own boat. It was pointed out to me at the time that the Chinese (Nissan block) was a bit thirstier than the Vetus et all, but at 1.9 liter/hr @ 1500 versus 5 liter for the BMC, I'm not complaining.

david_bagshaw

Visit site
I have found Filtermania to be excellent for a number of tricky items. (a satisfied customer)

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Does any body know of a compatible oil filter to fit an MP214 (as in Marine Power Solutions 2 cylinder, 14hp diesel engine - Made in China)
That engine has, as far as I know, a Kubota block
I'm mildly surprised that the Chinese makers don't make their own block, but if it is a Kubota it seems like a reasonable bet that it's the same 479cc block as my 14hp Nanni or the 14hp Beta. Nanni filters are expensive too, but I think Beta use generic ones,

"Beta 14 filter" finds loads on eBay, starting at a tenner. The Beta part number is 211-63760 and it cross-references with Kubota 15853-32430 and WIX 51365.

malcolm

Visit site
Thank you so much everyone for all your help. I have decided to purchase a couple filters from Holland as RivalRedwing suggests and hope they have a part number on them or at least I can show one to the motor factors etc. and see if they can identify it. To be fair the Marine Power engine has been fine, it is just a little worrying if I need proper spares in the future.

Muddy32

Visit site
I pay around £2.60 for my filter on a kubota block for my Beta 13.5, which may well be similar. Go to either an agricultural or motor factor who will supply the same for less.

Gordonmc

Visit site
For what it is worth I installed a Marine Power (or TDME as it was then) 46 hp four cylinder engine in my boat. Repeatedly I tried to source oil filters through Marine Power and consistently they sent the wrong ones. Either the spin-on thread was all wrong or they were completely the wrong size.
I eventually sent a properly fitting filter to Baldwins and they matched the unit.
There is no point me sending you the part number as the engines are completely different but I suggest Baldwins should be your next call.
BTW, the TDME/Marine Power engine is not based on a Kubota block. It is a copy.
Best of luck.