Marine Ply Bonding

jon and michie

Visit site
Hi - I have been asked by a Friend of mine to ask this question so please bear with me

The Ply on his Speedboat is rotten and Plans to change it out for 12mm Marine Ply - What is the best type of adhesive to stick it down to GRP and what prep is required.
Many thanks In advance

Hacker

Visit site
What is the replacement ply for? If it’s just a pad on the inside of the boat (to screw something to) then an adhesive such as Sika 291 would be fine. If it’s to replace a structural piece then epoxy and thickened epoxy (as in post above). If it is an internal pad then give it a couple of coats of epoxy to seal the surfaces before sticking it down.

jon and michie

Visit site
Many thanks for your replies so far much appreciated

What is the replacement ply for? If it’s just a pad on the inside of the boat (to screw something to) then an adhesive such as Sika 291 would be fine. If it’s to replace a structural piece then epoxy and thickened epoxy (as in post above). If it is an internal pad then give it a couple of coats of epoxy to seal the surfaces before sticking it down.
From what I gather its full boarding that has rotted not a pad.
Jon

neil_s

Visit site
I have been using West epoxy resin, colloidal silica filler and woven bandage to make repairs to my own boat. It bonds very well to roughened GRP and wood.

B27

Visit site
Epoxy is good, but expensive.
If we are talking about bonding large areas of ply, e.g the core of a deck or bulkhead, there are cheaper adhesives which can be entirely adequate.

Some of the 'builders' adhesives in mastic gin tubes stick very well to wood and GRP.

If the ply is to be 'glassed in' or laminated over, then doing the whole job in polyester layup resin could be good, if done right.

Hacker

Visit site
But if the original layup was epoxy then polyester has poor chemical bond characteristics. Usually easier to use epoxy as that bond to both polyester and epoxy.