Marina Ragusa Scilly

RobGill

Visit site
I spent a few weeks there last year and also thougt about overwintering the previous year. As a safe place to leave the boat it would be fine but it is very dead in the winter as most restaurants/shops close up. There is a good supermarket about a mile away though that is year round. There was also very limited chandleries etc. although I think the boat yard should be up and running by now so that may help. Also travel is not that easy either if you need to fly often. If you want to stay on Sicily I think Riposto would be much better and although very expensive in the summer I think the winter rates are reasonable but you would have to check.

Having said that we decided we could have done a winter in Ragusa but ended up getting a place at Grand Harbour/Malta.

RobGill

Visit site
I was there during several very windy days but little swell got into the marina. Not there during a full storm but would imagine it is OK.

fliti

Visit site
We have spent winter in MDR. It is not as dead as the other respondent suggested. Very sheltered and actually quite lively compared to, say, Preveza,Povoa or Portimao. The yard is still not running and chandlery also limited. Getting away can also be a bit of a trial too unless you are flying out of Catania (BA to Gatwick) in which case there are direct bus services. On the other hand, Sicily is a really nice place with tons to do, great food and good, cheap wine. People also some of the nicest we have met since leaving Plymouth. Given the capacity constraints of Malta and the insurance issues of Tunisia, it should be pretty busy in MDR next winter. Several of our fellow liveaboards are also voting with their feet and coming back next winter and the rate beats anything Riposto or any other Italian yard could offer hands down.

Richard10002

Visit site

NOHOH

Visit site
Before you all start salivating......

....looking at the website (only in Italian).....the impression given is that these low rates are a `this winter only` promotion.......and the real rates are going to be MUCH higher....ie. next winter a 12m boat will be €400 (plus 23%VAT?) per MONTH....
...or am I missing something?

CharlesSwallow

Visit site
....looking at the website (only in Italian).....the impression given is that these low rates are a `this winter only` promotion.......and the real rates are going to be MUCH higher....ie. next winter a 12m boat will be €400 (plus 23%VAT?) per MONTH....
...or am I missing something?

Dear Mr Nesbitt,

click on the Italian flag and a drop down choice of flags will appear. Click on the Union flag and away you go.

Eh Jimmy?

Chas

Radha

Visit site
cost of 12 metre boat

I emailed the office in ragusa and got a quote of 880 euros for 7 months of which 440 euros is to be a deposit to book (refundable if you cant get there) so I am trying to find out what the cost of living is there,and how many restrants and bars will be open in winter
and what the price of beer and wine is

NOHOH

Visit site
Dear Mr Nesbitt,

click on the Italian flag and a drop down choice of flags will appear. Click on the Union flag and away you go.

Eh Jimmy?

Chas

Well....Chas...I did what you suggested..and got a nice wee british flag which took me to lots of pages which said they were `awaiting translation`...I have sent them an e-mail for a quote.... I await a reply with great interest.

RobGill

Visit site
Winter rates are much cheaper. I was stuck there in April/May last year for several weeks and was paying around 450 month for 9.7m. It goes up higher in summer season although still relatively cheap compared to much of Sicily/Italy! I think our winter price was around 900 but did not stay their in the end.

fliti

Visit site
I emailed the office in ragusa and got a quote of 880 euros for 7 months of which 440 euros is to be a deposit to book (refundable if you cant get there) so I am trying to find out what the cost of living is there,and how many restrants and bars will be open in winter
and what the price of beer and wine is

We have spent the winter in MDR. First, there have been several bars and restaurants open all winter, along with nice bakeries, great butcher,2 fine supermarkets-pretty much all you need. Cost of living seems very cheap-wine at 1-4 euros/bottle, depending on quality (Sicilian Nero d'Avola is excellent). Second, in repsonse to another posting, the cheap winter deal is DEFINItELY on for next winter-we have several friends who have already signed up. Third, the staff and people do seem very helpful and honourable so I would have no qualms parting with the deposit. Last, Sicily is a brilliant place to spend a winter-masses to see and do. Go for it!;)

NOHOH

Visit site
Does Anyone......

...have a translation into English of the contract that these people expect you to sign?

My very broken and rusty Italian cannot see anything wrong with it....but I thought it might be worth asking if anyone else has looked at it....

Thanks in anticipation

fliti

Visit site
...have a translation into English of the contract that these people expect you to sign?

My very broken and rusty Italian cannot see anything wrong with it....but I thought it might be worth asking if anyone else has looked at it....

Thanks in anticipation

I never bothered to translate it before signing. Done the same everywhere else. Why bother? No doubt, it says you have no rights and we have them all. Would you take any marina to court in their own turf?