Marina diesel warning

John7

Visit site
As a warning to those who buy diesel at marinas be careful over how much fuel you are charged for. I had my two one gallon (5ltr) cans filled at one last week but though I thought the £8. 30p was a lot made the mistake of not acting then.

This week I phoned them and in response have been told the meter read 22 litres. Now I don’t know how that can be and clearly they are unwilling to take my word for the size of container I had so I am presently awaiting their being able to speak to the staff that may have dealt with me.

Clearly I am concerned that their meter may have over read, by twice, what I could have had. I should have picked it up at the time so that’s my mistake. But if you were filling up a boat tank how many people would have a real idea of what amount of fuel it would take? I am also annoyed they either think I am out to fiddle them of £4 or that I am so stupid as to not realise my cans take two not one gallon, after many years of filling with 5 litres I should know by now what they hold!

So take care to have a good idea of what fuel you expect to go into your tank and that what goes in by the meter does matches it.

<hr width=100% size=1>

poggy

Visit site
It probably wasn't zeroed before you used it. Some of the marina pumps need to be reset manually by the attendant before you take fuel.

Poggy

<hr width=100% size=1>

TonyTitch

Visit site
I'm a bit surprised that you think people have little idea of how much fuel their tank needs. If you don't have a fuel gauge, you should be able to sort out a dipstick with marks scratched in it to give you at least a rough idea. My tank's filler hole is right over the centre of the tank and using a dipstick works very well.

<hr width=100% size=1>

John7

Visit site
I'm pleased your dipstick works well, my one is a bit hot or miss and only a guide. One fellow owner with a fuel gauge I spoken to said he also only knew approximately how much fuel he could take on. My point is for whatever reason mistakes can be made which in my case I didn't pick up at the time. I knew my cans could only take 2 gallons in total yet when told the cost at the time didn't think there had been an error. If as said above the pump hadn't been zeroed before your fill up I wonder where any one will be proving you hadn't had the diesel. Also how many pumps are easily visible where you fill up, the one on this occasion wasn’t even on the pontoon so no one could see it. In my case the marina is ignoring it and hasn't come back to me even though I was told they would. All I know is we will not be staying there again and view it as a warning to be very vigilant in such situations in future.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Spyro

Visit site
How could you not think there was an error? 10 litres at my marine costs £3.40 I do not no about other marinas but I would assume that they all supply red diesel which should be tax free hence it being so cheap. Go back and challenge them about it, if it's happened to you it will happen to others.

<hr width=100% size=1>

John7

Visit site
I usually by diesel at my local garage (in my can/s) as we are rarity in a marina to get red diesel. So the price was in line with them but. I did phone when back and have got nowhere!

<hr width=100% size=1>