marina channel 80 and hand-held radio

steve350

Visit site
Hi, I'm about to do my first sail along the coast with the intention of using a marina berth. The destination marina uses channel 80 as it's working channel. When I listen to my local marina on channel 80 I can hear the marina answering calls but not the calling vessel. I guess this is because c80 is duplex. Is it possible for me to make contact with my hand held Icom ic-m31. I also have channel 37 (previously known as ch M) on my radio, which is described as the secondary channel between yachts and marinas, should I try it?, I've never heard any traffic on it! What's my best approach?

moondancer

www.wisereach.co.uk
Channels 37 and 80 are used in the UK as local harbour and yacht club channels and are also often known as m1 and m2. Radios imported over here are programmed for these channels to be available.

If you have an ICOM bought through a UK dealer then it will work on channel 80.

Just because you can't hear the calling vessel it doesn't mean your hand held isn't working - it just means it isn't receiving the transmission. You might be nearer the marina and can only hear the marina transmitting. Try calling your local marina just to test it out.

Malcb

www.virgo-owners.org
Yes Channel 80 is duplex so you can only hear the marina. Yes, you can use your H/H as it will have Ch 80 on it. I normally use my H/H so that I can speak from the cockpit and not have to change channel on my main VHF.

As far as using 37 or M it all depends on the channel that the marina uses, you need to check an almanac for that information. As far as I know because a marina is classed as a shore station, they will usually only have the channels that their licence restricts them to, as they have to pay for each channel. Sailing clubs use channel 37 or M when dinghy racing

l'escargot

Visit site
I think you will find 80 isn't M2, it is a different channel - so no good for calling up a marina as most in this area certainly seem to use 80. You cannot hear the other stations calling the marina on 80 no matter how close you are, it transmits and receives on different channels (Duplex) - you will only ever hear the marina(s) response.

VicS

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think you will find 80 isn't M2, it is a different channel

[/ QUOTE ] That's right

Channel 80 is a duplex ( 2 frequency) channel so you will only hear the shore station on your ships or HH radio

Channel 37 (M) and channel M2 are however both simplex (single frequency ) channels so you will hear both shore stations and ships stations

Ch 80........... Marinas............. Rec 157.025MHz, transmits 161.625MHz

Ch 37 (M) .. Clubs and Marinas.. Rec 157.850MHz, transmits 157.850MHz

Ch M2 ........ Clubs .............. Rec 161.425MHz. transmits 161.425MHz

You contact a marina on what ever frequency they list (in the Almanac, on their website etc) Or more simply using your mobile phone !

Don't you have to know all this stuff about VHF channels these days to get your Operators Certificate of Competence?

l'escargot

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
...Don't you have to know all this stuff about VHF channels these days to get your Operators Certificate of Competence?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes you do, but you also get to know that you don't need an Operator's Certificate of Competence to use those channels. Catch 22? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

dratsea

Visit site
Yes International 80 is Duplex, ship transmits on 157.025 and shore station (Marina) on 161.625.

International Frequencies

But US uses a different (but overlapping) set of frequencies.

US Frequencies

I found this out the hard way when I bought an American boat fitted with an American Icom. It was a bit of a puzzle when I first tried to talk to a marina on 80 and took a bit of working out but ICOM UK were very helpful and sent me full list of frequencies and explanation of how to switch US set to, and use on, International settings.

On International setting I can receive other boats calling Marina on 80a and transmit to Marina on same setting but if I want to hear the marina reply I have to switch to 80. What I usually do is to leave main set on 80a, I can hear other boats and/or transmit to Marina but I have the UK handheld on 80 so that I can hear the reply and if I go on deck I can transmit and receive on the hand held.

John

earlybird

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Yes you do, but you also get to know that you don't need an Operator's Certificate of Competence to use those channels. Catch 22? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I've got an OCC, but I didn't know that.

Bilgediver

Visit site
Yes you do, but you also get to know that you don't need an Operator's Certificate of Competence to use those channels. Catch 22?

Channel 80....... It is a MARINE channel not CB

VicS

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I've got an OCC, but I didn't know that

[/ QUOTE ] Same here and I dont belive it. You'll need the OCC for channel 80 surely as that is an International channel even if you dont for the other two.

But I expect the angry snail is right ... he usually is

Solitaire

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've got an OCC, but I didn't know that

[/ QUOTE ] Same here and I dont belive it. You'll need the OCC for channel 80 surely as that is an International channel even if you dont for the other two.

But I expect the angry snail is right ... he usually is

[/ QUOTE ]

He is correct, M1 & M2 do not require OCC. One is required however for ch 80 however, or be "under the direct supervision of the holder of a certificate to operate"

l'escargot

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Yes you do, but you also get to know that you don't need an Operator's Certificate of Competence to use those channels. Catch 22?

Channel 80....... It is a MARINE channel not CB

[/ QUOTE ]Didn't say anything about CB. The M channels are what used to be referred to as "private" channels and 80 has been designated as a seperate marina channel - do you think all those marina staff hold operator certs?

Incidentally, as you bought it up, you actually needed a licence to use CB channel 80 when it first became legal on FM in this country. Don't know if it is still the case though as I lost interest in CB 25 odd years ago.

earlybird

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] The M channels are what used to be referred to as "private" channels and 80 has been designated as a seperate marina channel, do you think all those marina staff hold operator certs?

[/ QUOTE ]
You may well be correct, but I thought that only the 27MHz band was licence-free in the UK, and that is restricted to a few watts. I assumed that putting out 25 watts in the marine VHF band would require a licence, private channel or not.
Could the marina staff operate under the "supervision" of a licence holder, just like boat crew?

l'escargot

Visit site
I can't recall exactly but I think it may be under a shore station licence which doesn't require individuals to have an operators cert. I am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bilgediver

Visit site
Didn't say anything about CB. The M channels are what used to be referred to as "private" channels and 80 has been designated as a seperate marina channel - do you think all those marina staff hold operator certs?

Incidentally, as you bought it up, you actually needed a licence to use CB channel 80 when it first became legal on FM in this country. Don't know if it is still the case though as I lost interest in CB 25 odd years ago.

Yep I know you didn t but listening to the unlicensed on M2 and M1 it reminds me of unlicensed CB !!!!!

RestlessL

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I can't recall exactly but I think it may be under a shore station licence which doesn't require individuals to have an operators cert. I am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It is covered by the Ship Radio Licence:

Clause 10(b) - "... the radio equipment is only used by persons who hold, or are under the direct personal supervision of a person who holds a relevant Maritime Radio Operator's Certificate of Competence and valid Authority to Operate."

Clause 11 - "Clause 10(b) shall not apply to persons using channels M (157.850 MHz) and M2 (161.425 MHz)"

and Clause 12 goes on to allow emergency use.

The radio still needs to be licenced.

steve350

Visit site
I have a marine radio operators certificate of competence. The use of C80 was not covered in the course. As we used fixed radio sets with duplex capability perhaps it was considered unnecessary.
This will be my first tentative coastal sail so I just want to make sure everything's taken care of. Thanks for the replies.

VicS

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have a marine radio operators certificate of competence. The use of C80 was not covered in the course. As we used fixed radio sets with duplex capability perhaps it was considered unnecessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Channel 80 was covered in as much as any other channel was covered.

You should have been taught specifically about channel 16 and have been told of the primary inter ship channels.

You should have been taught about the difference between single frequency channels and dual frequency channels.

A pity if you were taught using truly duplex radios because they allow simultaneous two way speech, just like a telephone, something that your normal yacht VHF station does not allow. Technically yacht radio uses 2 frequency simplex operation on the duplex channels. It used to be referred to as "semi-duplex" but I have not seen that description lately.

I learnt all that stuff (although getting a bit rusty on a lot of it now) just from the two RYA booklets G22 and G26 Better value than paying for a course it seems.

steve350

Visit site
quote "I learnt all that stuff (although getting a bit rusty on a lot of it now) just from the two RYA booklets G22 and G26 Better value than paying for a course it seems."

Unfortunateley it's not possible to obtain the Operators Certificate by merely reading the booklets. You are correct about the content of the syllabus, indeed the items you mentioned were covered. My concern is not about correct use of the radio or radio ettiquette. It is that I'm unable to call on channel 80 with my hand-held Icom IC-M31. Perhaps it is something to do with the functionality of the set. I'll check to see if it's the international model (i bought it 2nd hand so not sure of its origin).