Mal de mer remedies

robavery

Visit site
I would agree with those singing the praises of Scoperderm. They are brilliant. NB Those who cannot get to the doctor can get them without prescription over the counter. Cost circa £8 per packet of two

jollyjacktar

Visit site
Scopaderm is the best for me but you need to get it in motion 16 hours or so before voyaging. Next best relief is ginger capsuls [or powder], ginger nut biscuits, or ginger fizz drink. I always avoid the knockout pills like dramamine, although this is effective for children, as passengers they can enjoy the slumber/initial overdose phase of the pill. On long ocean voyages, after awhile you acclimatize and dont need anything [or else you jump overboard and die]. Biggest danger is dehydration [or drowning] while suffering.

However for the mal de mer brought on by psychotic factors anything works as a placebo, perhaps a witch doctor, juju magic, or even wristbands. Seems that the two most prevalent factors causing motion sickness are psychosis, and inner ear effects. Not everyone is susceptable to motion sickness caused by the inner ear [lucky blighters]

Achillesheel

Visit site
Homeopathy works. I once went on a flotilla holiday with a new girl friend. I had met her on a UK sailing trip, when she was hurling over the side most of the time. There was a spare berth on the forthcoming flotilla trip with some friends, and on a whim I asked her along.

On the way to the airport a few weeks later, she announced that she had seen a homeopath about mal-de-mer, but the remedy might have a side effect that in a few days time, ie at about the beginning of the second week of our holiday, she may become extremely emotional and irrational. I considered putting her out of the car there and then, but didn't and in the end all was well and her sea sickness was cured.

But I still never saw her again after the holiday.....

youngwrinkley

Visit site
Kwells (Hyoscine Hydrobromide 0.3mg, I think) work great for me. If I start to feel queasy I dissolve one under my tongue and know that I am going to be fine in around five minutes! If its 'orrible I occasionally need another after around five hours.

robavery

Visit site
I have to stand corrected on my earlier post. Following a check with my chemist it now appears Scoperderm patches are now prescrip only

lille_bee

Visit site
Buccastem: there is an over-the-counter version available, called Buccastem-M, which is licensed for the relief of nausea during a migraine attack (hence the "M"), but they're exactly the same tablets as the 3mg buccastem prescription-only ones, just a lot dearer...
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be careful with all scopolamine/ hyoscine preparations such as kwells, scopoderm, Boots' own brand travel sickness remedies etc...: THEY ARE NOT SUITABLE IF YOU SUFFER WITH GLAUCOMA OR PROSTATE PROBLEMS.
I quite like Sea-band's Ginger chewing gum, myself...

alan_d

Visit site
Prescription for Scopoderm

Scopoderm patches are not now available in UK pharmacies without prescription, although they were until about a year ago, hence my and others' confusion and the need for this edit. (They contain hyoscine, the active ingredient in Kwells and some other motion-sickness remedies. In USA hyoscine is known as scopolamine, hence the name.)

Liz_I

Visit site
Re: Prescription not needed for Scopoderm

As one who gets 'sick'. Heard lots of remedies. Strawberry Jam on bread. Tastes the same coming up as going down!! Yieeech! Don't be ashamed, Nelson was sick every time he went to sea. Bear it for as long as possible then lie down & try to sleep, on your back with legs bent for about an hour. Don't stop eating, best a dry slice of toast or a biscuit (with strawberry jam!!) Whatever, don't let it put you off going to sea.

Imhas

Visit site
I have used the reliefband medical device...it was fantastic! Myself and my wife ( me more than her!) always used to get sea sickness in difficult situtations....but this device was a life saver...

apparently it uses a "nerve stimulation technology"-(from manufacturer website!) relieve motion sickness ......regardless it works great...i now have 5 on my boat for friends just in case

A

Anonymous

We keep Scopaderm patches for those who have real problems and they have always worked. You used to be able to buy them OTC from Boots but they stopped that...abuse, I suppose. I don't know if the licence was changed or not - i.e. a friendly Boots pharmacist might be allowed to dispense without a script - but I don't know. Otherwise, see the doc.