Making up a tapered furling line

differentroads

blog.offbeatsadventures.com
For a Selden Furlex the furling line is fixed through the drum with an overhand knot. Replacing the 10mm D/B Polyester with say 5mm S/B Dyneema what knot should I use?
Good point. My reefing drum is similar. Dyneema is a slippery bugger and knots tend to slip. Me, I'd probably splice a small eye in it and slip in a dogbone toggle - looks like the button on an old fashioned duffel coat - or attach it to the foresail shackle. Or I suppose you could slip a piece of the outer braid back over it and rely on its friction to hold the knot. I'm not sure if it'd work though

stranded

Visit site
As I understand it, it is not furling the sail that will exert the highest max loads, it is when you have the sail partially reefed - then the furling line load is resisting the sail unfurling itself - so it is not how hard you can pull, but an apparently unknown fraction of the wind load on the (reduced) sail. Some people earlier in the thread thought the load on the furling line would be equal to that on the sheet - 1500kg+ in my case, but that’s assuming you have the right amount of sail up (actually and that the sail is reefed so it would be less than that because the sail area would be reduced, but even so - and some that it would only be a small fraction of that. I don’t know, but I bet it’s a lot more than I could pull!