Making engine access through cockpit floor - good/bad practice?

langstonelayabout

Visit site
I had a Pegasus 700 that had a removable cockpit floor, not just a hatch.
I was always nervous of it leaking. Properly sealed it would be fine but everyone trampling on the cockpit floor soon compresses the foam gasket and makes it leak. Rain, spray. Any green ones. Straight into the rear of the boat (and into the engine room if you have one fitted).
I guess that if you change the gasket every year and use additional sealer it should be OK.

Robert Wilson

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay
Visit site
You need a raised lip on the floor to make gutter all the way round, say a 2" wide and a lip 1½" high,, bolted to the floor with 6mm countersunk screws, rubber sponge rubber for sealing. I would bolt down in each corner with TIMAGE hatch bolt downs - I used these http://timage.eu/marine/hatch-locking-devices/112-11HATCHLOCKING.html a bit expensive but effective. If you hinge it say halfway along, rear half bolted down, front half hinged and secured with two of the lock downs.
That's the sort of thing . The Force4 hatch locks are about the same price but have the advantage of a "lift" release rather than "key"

Robert Wilson

Visit site
100% true ....

I opened the hatch and she was 1/2 full of water ... all FRESHWATER ... not a hint of seawater at all.

Basically the cockpit drains had blocked with leaves and water had been collecting and seeping under the cockpit seals into the bilges.

Sorry about the long story ... but just goes to show how important clearing that rainwater can be ... that flooding cost me overall about £3000 with replacing engine, few wood panels and various gear that was underwater ...

Ouch! What rotten luck. I wonder if the yard would now include a "leaf-in-drains" inspection in their contract?

Robert Wilson

Visit site
I had a Pegasus 700 that had a removable cockpit floor, not just a hatch.
I was always nervous of it leaking. Properly sealed it would be fine but everyone trampling on the cockpit floor soon compresses the foam gasket and makes it leak. Rain, spray. Any green ones. Straight into the rear of the boat (and into the engine room if you have one fitted).
I guess that if you change the gasket every year and use additional sealer it should be OK.

That's a big worry, so if I go ahead I'll be installing grating supported at each side to prevent (hopefully) that sort of deterioration of seals.
:encouragement:

ctva

Visit site
Our Marcon Sabre 27 had a floor hatch which was no problems as the structure was very robust. Mind you there was a slatted insert in the cockpit floor which helped spread the weight. Just make sure you don't eat too many mince pies...:encouragement:

We'll inspect it next summer.

Robert Wilson

Visit site
Our Marcon Sabre 27 had a floor hatch which was no problems as the structure was very robust. Mind you there was a slatted insert in the cockpit floor which helped spread the weight. Just make sure you don't eat too many mince pies...:encouragement:

We'll inspect it next summer.

Or have aboard pizza-gobbling guests.........................

By the way, I want to try the M&S mince pies, so please instruct your good lady to lay-in a stock :eagerness:

ctva

Visit site
Or have aboard pizza-gobbling guests.........................

By the way, I want to try the M&S mince pies, so please instruct your good lady to lay-in a stock :eagerness:

You don't get shop bought muck in our house.:disgust:

Good homemade ones only... if there are any left. :)

ghostlymoron

Visit site
I fitted a small Bainbridge hatch to give access to the rear of my VP MD1 rather than crawling through the heads. Worked fine and I had no concerns about water ingress. I don't like the idea of lifting cockpit floor type - much too likely to leak.

johnalison

Visit site
I think you have to assume that the lid will leak and make sure that there is a good lip, as mentioned, and also that the cockpit drains are reliable. Given that, we found the lid in our Sadler29 very useful, and it also had room for the deflated dinghy. I suspect that most of the important strength comes from the structure around the bridge deck rather than the cockpit floor, but a bit of reinforcement might be worthwhile in some boats.

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
My centre cockpit Countess 33 has a completely removable cockpit floor. Engine installation (and, unfortunately replacement) becomes a doddle. Although designed as that, it is supported underneath with massive beams.

No leaks.

Leighb

Visit site
The Halmatic 30 has a large access hatch in the cockpit floor. It is a substantial and quite heavy moulding. There is a deep moulded gully all round with a small drain at the front which connects to the cockpit drains. This should ensure that water getting in around the edge of the hatch drains away. There is a proper moulded rubber seal to ensure watertightness. Only snags we found were that if the boat was laid up even slightly bows up, rather than level or bows down, the water in the gully could get through the gap at the aft end where the seal was joined and find its way below, also the little drain in the moulding at the front was tiny and easily blocked with debris so we had to lift the hatch regularly to clear it. We never felt concerned about the strength of the hatch though, built like the proverbial!!