Making a Wooden Name Plaque!

Zagato

Visit site
I would like to buy one but think they will be VERY expensive (unless anyone knows a reasonably priced source!). I don't have a router, chiseling could be a mess, what about painting or vinyl lettering and varnishing over the top? Just wondered what others did...

rlea

Visit site
PBO

If you purchase an old copy of PBO mag No 367 July 1997, there's an article in there regarding making a wooded name plate. If no luck, send me your details and I'll post you a copy.
Good luck

barnaclephill

Visit site
If you purchase an old copy of PBO mag No 367 July 1997, there's an article in there regarding making a wooded name plate.

I read and scanned an article about this only 2 weeks ago. Computer printed font & style pasted on timber, then routed out of the timber. 2 side timbers (folds of a ribbon) added. I make it to be from PBO 351 of March 1996.
For your benefit here uploaded: http://s1136.photobucket.com/albums/n491/barnaclephill/#!cpZZ3QQtppZZ24

I think I recall that in the past people burnt the writing part on the timber with a hot iron, soldering iron perhaps, then filled in the lot with varnish to preserve.

Last edited:

ianat182

Visit site
Wooden name plaques

Our local (Fareham) DIY stores(Parker's ) make up varnished wooden name plaques for houses some already named (Dunromin!!) to show as samples, others by order. If you PM me I'll enquire for you.

ianat182

Even Chance

Visit site
I made ones by printing out the name to full size using Word, and stuck it to the wood using pritt-stick glue. I then whittled the name out using a stanley knife. Just hold the knife at the same angle and cut a V into the black portion of the paper letter/wood. Takes a while, but it looks great. I picked out the sunk portion of the letters in white and varnished the board. I will look for pics of it during/after carving.

Amulet

www.flickr.com
I looked up a local sign making company. They do trade vehicle logos, shop signs etc.

We prepared the name on the computer screen and then they made a stick on stencil on a fancy machine they have.

1. made wooden name plates out of Utile
2. 3 or 4 coats of varnish
3. stuck on stencil (see below *)
4. sprayed name with aerosol paint
5. removed the stencil (when paint had started to dry but was not a tearable skin - careful)
6. when dry put a couple more coats of varnish on top.

* The stencil as provided has three layers. The business part is a cutout sandwiched between a cover sheet on its sticky side and a backing sheet on top. Remove the cover sheet and stick the stencil complete with backing sheet on the substrate. Peel off the cover sheet. Peel off the individual letters ready to spray - a little bit touchy on centres of "o" etc.

Stencils are not reusable. I got three (name each side and one for the SSR number) for a forgotten but not eyewatering cost (maybe £30).

Penton Hooker

Visit site
Zag, having heard rumours of your alleged tendencies towards the unorthodox may I suggest that you don't name your boat, it will make it harder for the harbour authorities to find you!

Should you still want well priced pre-cut and pre-spaced lettering then I can highly recommend this seller on E-bay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CUSTOM-BO...ssories_SM&hash=item3a72c72915#ht_8052wt_1162

Just be aware, Big Brother can read.

Zagato

Visit site
Thanks for your replies folks, will go through the leads :D

Penton I was going to change it from SMUGGLER :D but it has been called that from new, over 30 years :eek:

rob2

Visit site
My mate carved a nameplate for his boat. Three pieces of mahogany cut and set into each other for the illusion of a scroll and the name was traced on from a computer print-out. The letters were then carved, slowly and carefully by hand with a vee shaped gouge.

Once the carving was as good as it was likely to get, we painted the letters in black gloss and then varnished the whole thing. It still looks great several years later! Point is, it wasn't so hard...

Rob.