Making a Topsail, video

jerrytug

N/A
Visit site
So why can't they make them that quick normally? The evidence is there, any slower and they are milking the client..

Reminds me of the jewish factory worker in Schindler's List, who turned his lathe faster when the SS inspector came round, then was unable to answer why he usually was much slower! ;) whoops

Happy xmas to the 1 or 2 people of that tribe who I've raced against in Jacinta, and Gwenilli, hope you're well G and M, you nutters.

Last edited:

wilkinsonsails

Visit site
Small basic sails that are purely machine finished can be whiz zed up in a few hours.:).But most larger sails have a few more add ons,reef points,battens ,leech lines cleats,headboard sail numbers,in consequence take a few hours more.
Probabally does help to be a grizzled old sail maker too,bit too many on the one sail though,.
Might not have been very cost effective :rolleyes:
Cindy

ianc1200

Visit site
Good camera work by somebody......

Actually my filming was rubbish but Alison Cable did a great job of putting some of it into something worth watching.

"not a spotty youth or youthess in evidence ! Nothing like grizzled old sailmakers, is there ....", quite a young lad (early 20's?) on the sewing machine.

They had an enormous amount of sails being prepared for the new Royalist (I hope that's the correct boat), huge sails, and perhaps 70 of them. The brass hanks were huge, Transur of this parish & I remarked on the damage they would do if hit on the head with one.

Really interesting evening and having set a simple task of producing a small sail, done by four people only to demonstrate all the processes in less than two hours.

Quite a good idea for a club evening & I for one ordered a new mainsail for my Crabber & discussing a tow sail.

Last edited: