makers number?

sophie4

Visit site
I am looking at a Halcyon 27 and inside the cabin on the deckhead there is a plate with: OFF. No. ******
REG TONS 3 88/100

Is this a builders number or some form of registration number? There is a builders plate at the back of the cotpit.
Any help appretiated.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tillergirl

Visit site
Off No means Official Number showing that the vessel has been Part 1 registered at the Registry of shipping. The registered tonnage will be Thames Tonnage which has something to do with a theoretical cargo and not overall gross displacement. Somebody posted what Thames Tonnage was based on a while back but it slips my memory. The year of the official number shows the date of registration not necessarily when she was built/launched

The vessel may have lapsed on a previous sale or by default when the Govn (bless them) made this more of a revenue earning service by making it renewable every five years (on the deceitful grounds that they wanted to remove lots of deceased vessels off the register (what did it matter)). If it is still live registered under the previous owner, you could get your ownership registered for a fee (£80 I thnk it was) and then you wouldn't need to bother with the SSr if you wanted to go foreign. But then there should have been a laminated card giving details of the registration and you will need to use a Bill of Sale in the appropriate form I believe = brokers normally have them transfering 64/64s of the vessels ownership to you. Prior to the laminated card which came in with the revenue earning wheeze you got a blue cardboard cover out of which you unfolded a large sheet of thick paper giving the vessel details and original owner. Subsequent owners were shown on the reverse with dates of owenrship - a nice bit of history if you like that kind of thing. Advantage of being registered these days - it used to be required if you had a marine mortgage but not if you had a marine personal loan etc. It obviates the need to be registered on the SSR if you want to go foreign and apart from that it's just nice and old fashioned if you're the kind of guy that likes old fashioned.

<hr width=100% size=1>