Maidenhead Reach (Maidenhead Bridge to Boulter Lock) - overhanging trees

Brightside

Visit site
Has anyone else noticed the trees overhanging the river between Maidenhead Bridge (A4) and Boulters Lock? A barge was drifting-out from it's mooring, being very loosely tied and with the overhanging trees caused quite a problem earlier in the week as vessels in both direction tried to navigate a single narrow channel to avoid the barge and the overhanging trees which I can report were below 9 feet above water! Time for some severe pruning, but by whom?

TrueBlue

Visit site
Has anyone else noticed the trees overhanging the river between Maidenhead Bridge (A4) and Boulters Lock? A barge was drifting-out from it's mooring, being very loosely tied and with the overhanging trees caused quite a problem earlier in the week as vessels in both direction tried to navigate a single narrow channel to avoid the barge and the overhanging trees which I can report were below 9 feet above water! Time for some severe pruning, but by whom?

Sadly - the landowner.
EA have rules - but no money to spare. Regardless anything they do has to be with the agreement of the riparian landowner....

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
The trees are mainly on the islands which are owned by the local authority - the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead (RBWM).

I have had contact with them about this issue several times since I became a local resident including a meeting with the chairman of the council.
My latest engagement was a telephone discussion with the trees department earlier this month when we agreed (I think) that a survey is needed and that they would progress that. There are financial issues but also availability of plant etc and I suggested they might endeavour to consult with the EA for the common good. I am continuing to monitor progress (hopefully).

Has anyone made use of the channel along the Taplow side of the river? This is a useable channel and part of the navigation. I am intending to research what opportunity there may be to ease the problem if upriver traffic were to make more use of this leaving the Maidenhead side predominantly for downriver traffic. This arrangement would also comply with the 'keep right ' protocol for navigation and avoid any need for crossover at either the bridge or Boulters Lock ends. Cant remember ever making use of this myself but intend to explore next time I am up that way.

Whilst on the trees topic, those overhanging the lock cut upstream of Boulters are definitely EA responsibility if they are on the island - which most seem to be.

Chris_d

Visit site
The trees are mainly on the islands which are owned by the local authority - the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead (RBWM).

I have had contact with them about this issue several times since I became a local resident including a meeting with the chairman of the council.
My latest engagement was a telephone discussion with the trees department earlier this month when we agreed (I think) that a survey is needed and that they would progress that. There are financial issues but also availability of plant etc and I suggested they might endeavour to consult with the EA for the common good. I am continuing to monitor progress (hopefully).

Has anyone made use of the channel along the Taplow side of the river? This is a useable channel and part of the navigation. I am intending to research what opportunity there may be to ease the problem if upriver traffic were to make more use of this leaving the Maidenhead side predominantly for downriver traffic. This arrangement would also comply with the 'keep right ' protocol for navigation and avoid any need for crossover at either the bridge or Boulters Lock ends. Cant remember ever making use of this myself but intend to explore next time I am up that way.

Whilst on the trees topic, those overhanging the lock cut upstream of Boulters are definitely EA responsibility if they are on the island - which most seem to be.

We use the Taplow side channel, more interesting than the Maidenhead side.
I seem to remember though there were channel markers on the ends of the Islands in the past directing you away from this route, although they have long since been grown over or fallen down. The locals who moor round there maybe not wish to encourage it.

Chris_d

Visit site
I have occasionally used the Taplow side just for a change of scenery, but I do believe it is a bit shallow in places, but fine for my boat (about 3ft draught).
Theres some big boats moored round there so don't think the draft is an issue, but I definitely wouldn't try going between the islands!

DogsBody

Visit site
Theres some big boats moored round there so don't think the draft is an issue, but I definitely wouldn't try going between the islands!

Haven't tried it recently but have taken previous boats between the islands, has the gap silted up now?

Chris_d

Visit site
Haven't tried it recently but have taken previous boats between the islands, has the gap silted up now?

I think its still possible but when I looked earlier this year I couldnt see the deep bit just the bottom extended out from the ends of the Islands, although I expect the locals know where the channel is.

No Regrets

Visit site

In other words 'I asked them to cut the trees down, and they totally ignored me, like everybody else of worth does'

When are you going to realise that your posturing and posing is at best, pointless, despite your vast following of five forumites of equal value.

Sadly Tony, your efforts all appear to equate to absolutely nothing of any value whatsoever, perhaps it's time for you to retire from politics and propaganda. your audience is tinier than a weasles wedding tackle :p

Obviously you'll come back and tell me of all your massive successes in your five years as self appointed billy-big-balls, and prove me wrong in your usual tedious and time consuming manner :eek:

Last edited:

No Regrets

Visit site
Chris, you appear to think it's fine that you are permitted to openly abuse somebody for their opinions, yet others are not allowed to without you castigating them.

It looks like you miss the point of the word 'forum'

My point was, Tony posts much, but provides absolutely zero in real terms, in his never ending quest for attention. Now you could prove me wrong and tell me of the massive conquests he has actually won during the previous years, although I seriously doubt there is anything of value, or you could concede my point, instead you post a lot of asterisks, which provide no practical information whatsoever.

Instead of attacking me, prove me wrong. I await your next 'final post' as unlike you, I would rather discuss reality than remove people for their opinions, regardless of whether I agree with them or not.

Either way, I doubt Tony will be able to provide anything other than bluster...

jaws

Visit site
So the big solution to the overhanging trees in the main channel is to use the "unknown" Taplow side? Not one person has confirmed it's OK to navigate today.
I've only ever seen rowing boats use this side from Boulters and I'm not taking any chances with my props.

Let me know how you get on Tony. A very useful public service indeed. ?

Old Crusty

Visit site
So the big solution to the overhanging trees in the main channel is to use the "unknown" Taplow side? Not one person has confirmed it's OK to navigate today.
I've only ever seen rowing boats use this side from Boulters and I'm not taking any chances with my props.

Let me know how you get on Tony. A very useful public service indeed. ��

I've been up the Taplow side of both islands often in a Mitchell 31 (draws 3') with plenty under the keel and as recently as last week in a Freeman drawing 2' 6". That said, it's a matter of choice for everyone.

Flynnbarr

Visit site

Let me know how you get on Tony. A very useful public service indeed. ��

Been up the Taplow side of the islands many times.Boat draws 3’9” no dramas at all.
Surprised No regrets hasn’t confirmed that its ok as he’s used it.
Talking recently to a friend who moors there I’d be wary of between the islands as this summer a steel boat went aground.

Akers_like

Visit site
Been down the Taplow channel several times this summer with a draught of 3'10" with no problems. Maybe it could be treated as a one way system if the trees are becoming an issue.

Looking forward to the opening of the new restaurant.

jaws

Visit site
Been down the Taplow channel several times this summer with a draught of 3'10" with no problems. Maybe it could be treated as a one way system if the trees are becoming an issue.

Great stuff. I shall take a gander next time. It will be interesting to see if it is as nice as the Waterside Inn.

Chill

Visit site
I ventured on the "Dark Side" once, never again, hit the bottom several times on the lower part approaching skindles.

No Regrets

Visit site
Been up the Taplow side of the islands many times.Boat draws 3’9” no dramas at all.
Surprised No regrets hasn’t confirmed that its ok as he’s used it.

Fair comment, except I have moored up on the Boulters pontoon, yet friends have run aground trying to get in on the same afternoon!

I wished I hadn't recommended it now, and promised never to tell anybody it's 'Fine for depth' just in case! :encouragement:

No Regrets

Visit site

Long time no see, hope you're well! New restaurant looks like it could be good, albeit at a price :p

Other threads that may be of interest