Mahogany (?) rubbing strake

Neil

Visit site
The only thing I would add is that what hasn't failed is going to. Test to see if you can effectively clamp and move the pieces where they need to end up. If the gap still exists, it will have to be removed. If you do undertake the repairs, John's advice to screw and plug every few inches will keep what hasn't failed yet in place.

Apparently, each laminar was screwed every few inches in situ. It shouldn't have opened up anyway, should it? I hope it just closes up on clamping.

Roach1948

www.dallimoredesigns.nl
It doesn't sound quick and cheap; would it have to be steamed and bent? What's a scarph?

On a 22' boat mine mine are 1" x 1, 3/4" mahog (but I was working to blend with original wood - Iroko is much cheaper) - classic 30's bendy sheerline and they bent round without any steaming at all - that is why I asked how long the boat is. Scarphs - 7:1 joint min. 3x8ft sections. Gorilla Glue on joints - fast and good. No epoxy to worry about and the associated costs and mess that goes with it.

srp

Visit site
Apparently, each laminar was screwed every few inches in situ. It shouldn't have opened up anyway, should it? I hope it just closes up on clamping.
Depends how it was done - the screws should have been drilled starting at one end and working in one direction (or starting in the centre and working outwards).

If a screw is put in at each end first, progressing towards the centre you often end up with gaps between the laminates. Usually small enough to fill with glue, but if the glue is something like Cascamite or PU you've got the makings of a failed joint.

Neil

Visit site
On a 22' boat mine mine are 1" x 1, 3/4" mahog (but I was working to blend with original wood - Iroko is much cheaper) - classic 30's bendy sheerline and they bent round without any steaming at all - that is why I asked how long the boat is. Scarphs - 7:1 joint min. 3x8ft sections. Gorilla Glue on joints - fast and good. No epoxy to worry about and the associated costs and mess that goes with it.

My strake is 4cm thick, by 6.5 cm deep. I'd love it to be one lamina, but that would require steaming, bending and clamping to a form, I'd imagine.

Roach1948

www.dallimoredesigns.nl
My strake is 4cm thick, by 6.5 cm deep. I'd love it to be one lamina, but that would require steaming, bending and clamping to a form, I'd imagine.

It does sounds like you have the same sort of size as mine except in new money - like I said, I did not need to steam - and I suspect I might have a more curve in my hull as it is an older, and possibly slimmer design at the ends. Ofcourse the smaller the boat the more curve there tends to be.

Here are the pair of 24ft strakes (on a 22ft hull). Two Scarphs pre-done and glued each 8ft. Predrilled countersunk holes make sure that they are ready to be attached with screws half way in and with electric screwdiver and bedded with polysulphide - if yours were bedded with Silkaflex I suspect you will not get them off without some damage.

Anyway, just trying to re-assure you that a similar thing has been done without steaming...

IMG_2060.JPG